Reply All to Issue Creation Email

Atanas Georgiev July 19, 2017

Hi,

I want to setup a Mail Handler on my JIRA which would create an issue for emails received.
I have been looking at the documentation here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-802592933.html#Creatingissuesandcommentsfromemail-handytips

However I cannot find any information about whether the reply would be sent only to the email sender or to everyone involved in the email chain.
I want to send an email confirmation that the JIRA has been created to everyone in the email (including CC'ed people), especially since this might include DLs.

How can I achieve this?

Please help :)

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2017

JIRA won't send out an automated email to anyone that does not actually have an account in JIRA.   That is by design to prevent turning JIRA into an email spamming machine.

By default in JIRA, only the reporter (the sender in the from address) would be notified of this issue's creation, along with the issues current assignee, and the watchers of this issue.    JIRA only allows a single reporter, and a single assignee for any single issue.  The watchers field could be helpful here, but there is not a means for JIRA to automatically add all those email addresses as watchers to that issue.   The JIRA mail handler just is not natively equipped to handle that kind of processing.

Watchers first need to have an account in the JIRA instance as well. So that is a hurdle here.  Perhaps there is a plugin to JIRA that might be able to provide this functionality.

Alternative to this could be the use of the JIRA Service Desk add-on.  This add-on has a different way of handling mail in JIRA and in turn it can automatically be made to add addresses in the CC field to a special field called "Requested participants", this field can have multiple values and in turn can be used more for this kind of case creation notification.

Suggest an answer