Replacing the same users from an AD Directory with another AD group

Jay Coop December 2, 2012

Up to now, I have been importing users from AD on demand using AD queries and filters to bring the users in from different sites. This is now unweildy and I need to consolidate and only sync the SAME users from two new security groups in AD.

So the question is : if I remove the old

"Active Directory server A,
Active Directory server B,
Active Directory server C,
Active Directory server D"

can the users in these directories all be reimported to from a new AD group say called "Active Directory server SEC group US"

Will they all lose their tickets and tasks?? When they are reimported , their ID's will be the same - Like oms\userXYZ, oms\userPhiDelta

Many thanks

1 answer

1 vote
PauloP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2012

HI Jad

Let me try to answer to your questions by topics:

1 - can the users in these directories all be reimported to from a new AD group say called "Active Directory server SEC group US"

All you have to do is:

a - Configure JIRA to connect to your AD server ( a GC, if possible).

b - In the Users filters, try to set a filter like this one:

(&(objectCategory=user)(memberOf=CN=Employees,OU=Security Groups,DC=yourdomain,DC=com))

This will make JIRA to import only users which are member of the related LDAP group.

2 - Will they all lose their tickets and tasks??

No, since JIRA is about the username account and not an user ID, for exemple.

Also, I would suggest to create a trial environment before apply it in your production system.

In case of any issue, perhaps you should raise a new support ticket.

Cheers,

Paulo Renato

Jay Coop December 3, 2012

Paulo, I already have groups configured to read from AD and I am already using group and user filters.

The question was more about user re-mapping - I think you answered my question in #2. If I readd the same user - will the user lose their tickets. It appears they lose their JIRA groups, so I think they will lose their tickets.

Suggest an answer