Repeating issues in Jira: Looking for away to create all instances of repeating issues at once

Michaela Gluchow October 11, 2017

Hi there,

We want to have repeating issues in Jira. Our wish is, that all instances of the issues occur at once, when the issue is created. 

I first thought of implementing it with Script Runner, but my current solution feels very error-prone. (If interested I'll describe it in the comments).

Perhaps someone has already done this in Script Runner or has a nice add-on that does exactly that.

1 answer

0 votes
Ethan Foulkes October 11, 2017

Hi Michaela,

If you can describe more we'd be glad to help. Have done many projects around this type of requests using PowerScripts.

Michaela Gluchow October 11, 2017

Hey Ethan, 

thanks for your reply. I am not exactly sure, where your question is leading to:

do you mean how I would implement it using Script Runner? or do you mean the feature I am looking for in general?

Ethan Foulkes October 11, 2017

I mean feature in general. Frequency, types of Issues, data needed to be captured etc.

Have taken a number of different approaches to this theme based on the specific use case...

Michaela Gluchow October 13, 2017

Hi Ethan,

ah ok. So here we go:

I basically should work like a serial date in a calendar. You create one instance and then add the serial data information. So when and how often it should be repeated. Then all instances of the issue are created. If you change the master, all other issues change accordingly (this seems to be a very tricky part of implementation).

We need this for planing the resources. Generating issues just in time is not working for us.

Here some more insights on the issues we would like to repeat.

Frequency: once a day / week / month might be enough for the first run.

Types of Issues: Something simple like Tasks. 

We are currently using just standard fields like summary, description etc. No fancy stuff here. The fields should just be copied in all the issues. The due date of course should change depending on the frequency. 

Looking forward to your ideas!

Cheers

Michaela

Ethan Foulkes October 14, 2017

How far out in the future would you want the issues created? If a master issue is adjusted would you only want certain issues already created to be changed? Like only ones where progress has not yet been started for example?

How often would you want the script to run that creates the work tickets? Have done things like this where issues are created for an entire year and the script fires one time every November. Have done others that fire at start of month and build out the work for just that month.

Michaela Gluchow October 17, 2017

Hi Ethan,

here we go with your questions:

How far out in the future would you want the issues created?

I guess a year would do it. But there I would be pragmatically, as I fear problems in performance when creating or changing to many issues. Any experiences with that? 

If a master issue is adjusted would you only want certain issues already created to be changed? Like only ones where progress has not yet been started for example?

Never thought about that. I just would have changed all of them... hmmmm. I guess changing all of them or all not closed should do it. Other things should be added in the comments. 

How often would you want the script to run that creates the work tickets?

This should be done on demand, as I don't know, when the tasks and until when they are needed. Therefore I am aiming for a workflow for the master issue. When transitioning with "create instances" it will create all the instances as post-function.

Suggest an answer