Repeating Issues OR The Scheduler

Chris September 4, 2018

What are the key differences between The Scheduler plugin and the Repeating Issues plugin?  We need something that auto creates issues on a regular cadence.  Ideally we would like for the bulk of the fields to be the same, i.e. ticket type, assignee.  However the due date will need to be a more flexible, since that will not be exact from one period to the next.

A couple things I was wondering:
1. Will the subsequent issues retain the same key?  Or will a new key be generated for each subsequent issue?

2. Will attachments/comments be retained on recurring issues?  For example, if we have a recurring issue every month, will the comments/attachments carry over and be available in the auto generated issues each subsequent month?

Thanks,
Chris

1 answer

0 votes
Mateusz Daleki [Codedoers] September 5, 2018

Hello,

With Repeating Issues add-on you define repeating on existing issue. You can use „clone issue” action or „create sub-task" action to auto create new issues depending on what is your needs. The issue where you setup recurrence is used as the source issue for all subsequent occurrences. Every time when new issue is created with "clone issue" action all (system and custom) fields are copied from source issue to new issue - the newest values from the source issue are used. When configure repeating you can define some extra fields to override source issue values. You can also define issue duration in days - this value will be used to calculate (with non-working days support) proper due date for new cloned issue. With Repeating Issues add-on you can also set repeating for issue due date - then created date is calculated to ensure proper issue duration.
We will also release new version to the market where override custom fields values will be possible (with velocity expression support). Having velocity as an expression language for setting due date is on our roadmap.

Ad. 1
Each separate issue in Jira must have different key - this is how jira woks. That means each subsequent (repeated) issue will have a new key. It will be linked with source issue with Clone link type. Also there is the "repeating panel info" on issue view where you can see by which issue this one was repeated.

Ad. 2
Currently attachments/comments are not cloned to new issue instances. But you can use links to navigate source issue and find your data. For now, the add-on support links and sub-tasks cloning when clone parent issue.

I hope that I briefly described the Repeating Issues add-on. You can find full documentation here: https://codedoers.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SUPPORT/pages/58654723.

If you have more questions or suggestions please create the support ticket here: https://codedoers.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1

Best Regards,

Mateusz

Chris September 5, 2018

Thanks for the reply.  As for The Scheduler plugin, how does that differ from Repeating Issues?

Mateusz Daleki [Codedoers] September 5, 2018

Definitely I can point on following topics for Repeating Issues add-on that differs from other solutions

1. Now-working days adherence in all dates calculation
  2. Defining recurrence rule as iCalendar RFC with simple UI (high possibilities, e.g. first or last working day of the month)
  3. Recurring details are set just direct in issue that you want to repeat - do not need another objects for that
  4. New issues can be scheduled also for due date - not only created date
  5. Possibility to set recurrence to many issues at once time with Jira native bulk change feature
  6. Search repeated issues with JQL
  7. Support for overriding custom field values (in upcoming version)

Suggest an answer