Reoprting open issues by age

JenniKate Wallace February 6, 2013

How can you report open issues by age?

I want to be able to see a column chart that shows only open issues based on their age eg 0 days, 1 day old, 30 days old etc.

thanks

example:

I want to be able to see data like this in chart form:

Age of issues / open issues

issues that are 1 day old / 7

issues that are 2 days old / 10

issues that are 3 days old / 3

and so on

If someone closes an issue that is 2 days old the chart updates

issues that are 2 days old / 9

17 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AgentSmith
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2013

Greetings!

It sounds like the Average Age Report might suffice your needs:

"The 'Average Age' report is a bar chart showing the average age (in days) of unresolved issues at given points in time. The report is based on your choice of project or issue filter, and your chosen units of time (ie. hours, days, weeks, months, quarters or years)."

More info if interested: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Average+Age+Report

Also, I included a more comprehensive list of reports, just in case you wish to explore gathering addtional data:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Generating+Reports

I hope this response was helpful.

Cheers,

Jason | Atlassian

JenniKate Wallace February 7, 2013

Thanks but unless I'm reading that report wrong it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I want to be able to see data like this in chart form:

Age of issues / open issues

issues that are 2 days old / 10

and so on

If someone closes an issue that is 2 days old the chart updates

issues that are 2 days old / 9

1 vote
Mary Van Nostern August 22, 2015

Our management team is looking for the same report as Jenni describes here. The average age does not meet our requirements.  We need the ability to drill in and view issues by age periods (days, weeks, months). 

0 votes
james_holthaus May 5, 2021

This might not be what you are looking for, but if you want to report on the issues with different ages you can just do a JQL Query.

project = <ProjectName> AND created < -60days AND status != Done ORDER BY timespent DESC, created ASC

This one will list all of the issue not set to done that are over 60 days old and lists the oldest first

You can then use this is various reporting gadgets.

0 votes
madhan ravendhar December 21, 2020

Ageing.jpgHi all , I tried by best get an answer  but have no choice to end up in creating 3 filters which are created within -30d , -30d to -60d  and created > -60d and still in Open,reopen or inprogress. and used marked them as favorite filters

Gary Aanerud March 24, 2021

@madhan ravendhar are you able to select on the "20" and see what those 20 are?

I'm new, would you be willing to share how you build that filter?

Thanks.

László Gubicza March 25, 2021

issue_counter.png

Thanks for the idea to use the favorite filters gadget. There are some limitations, like you can have only one set of favorite filters and the order of the filters can be changed only by deleting and creating again the filters, but still a good workaround if you can't get the Rich Filter Simple Counter as extra plugin.

Pallavi.Satpute March 31, 2021

Add gadget -> Bubble Chart solves the purpose. This chart creates a bubble for each user story and displays the no of days it was open once you click on the bubble. It  provides  a correlation between no of days open, no of comments and participants. Needed a visual representation of aging user stories vs. no of days and the status they have been in. Am still exploring other gadgets. 

Bubble Chart.PNG

0 votes
Sindhuja_Selvaraj March 23, 2020

The time since chart seems to be an answer.

tempsnip.png

0 votes
Harold Prestage October 4, 2019

We fixed this and here is the query  issuetype in (Incident, "Service Request", "Service Request with Approvals") AND resolution = Unresolved AND created >= startOfDay(-7) see attached picture 

Paras_Govindani January 10, 2020

Hi Harold,  we don't see the attachment, can you please give  reference as we are  also looking some solution in our project

Harold Prestage February 2, 2020

Screenshot_6.jpg

Like Ricardo Gonzalez likes this
shraddha February 16, 2020

Hi Harold, this is great. May I know which report /gadget you have used to show this report? We are looking for similar stats for our kanban project.

Like Ricardo Gonzalez likes this
Paras_Govindani February 16, 2020

Hi Harold, Looking at the gadgets seems you are using pie chart gadget and using filters past 7 days, past 14 days etc. However by this we need to create separate filters and separte gadgets to display ageing.

I am looking for some solution to display ageing  in single view with no. of days created for the ticket. i.e.  Ticket X created on Y date = no. of days already passed from the creation date.

Please advise 

Harold Prestage June 17, 2020

Its a pie chart and then you build custom counts within the filter counts, Below is an example of the jql query of 1 of the custom counts i have in report

project = "10002" AND resolution = Unresolved AND created <= startOfDay(-14) AND type in (Incident, "Service Request", "Service Request with Approvals") and "Pending reason" is EMPTY

Sam Desai October 2, 2020

Hi Harold how do you do custom counts?

Harold Prestage October 3, 2020

Hi Sam

Something like the screenshot the below screenshot i  attached

Screenshot_2.jpg

Ricardo Gonzalez March 18, 2021

Harold, I would like to do similar query. how is the procedure?

Ricardo Gonzalez March 18, 2021

how to please, 
What gadged filter or report do you use for this result, how is it done?

Harold Prestage March 23, 2021

Hi @Ricardo Gonzalez 

Its a pie chart and then you build custom counts within the filter counts, Below is an example of the jql query of 1 of the custom counts i have in report, below is the jql for 14 days and older

project = "10002" AND resolution = Unresolved AND created <= startOfDay(-14) AND type in (Incident, "Service Request", "Service Request with Approvals") and "Pending reason" is EMPTY

Harold Prestage March 23, 2021

Let me know if you succeed

Ricardo Gonzalez March 23, 2021

that's is the query which is good!! amazing

what I have not been able to do is to configure gadget, Something like your screenshot the above screenshot you  attached

created less than 40 days ago              older than 7 days but not older than 14 days           

created more than 14 days ago            total unresolved   

this is what I would really like to know and I have searched many forums and I still do not see an exact procedure for this, I would like to connect with you to see if you can help me. rgonzalez07@hotmail.com, I get crazy results example.PNG

Ricardo Gonzalez March 23, 2021

@Harold Prestage
Pleas review my last comment, no succeed :(
would like the gadget step by step, there is my email

0 votes
Sushant Kumar Sinha October 3, 2019

Defect ageing being an important metrics to be reported as part of QA. Can someone suggest if we are able to get defect age field on JIRA for defect reporting.

I have been trying all luck this week but still not got any solution.

Thanks,

Sushant

László Gubicza October 4, 2019

You can use a series of filters to get issues in age groups using this in the filters:

AND created >= "-80d" AND created <= "-20d"   (collects issues between 20 and 80 days)

Please see my example in my earlier comment.

0 votes
Navarambh Software - Gmail
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2019

Hi,

This can be easily created using our Reporting App AIO Reports and Timesheets for Jira

Here is an article explaining the steps involved: Jira: Open Issues by Age

Regards

AIO Support

Sushant Kumar Sinha October 3, 2019

Can you please elaborate on the solution more. I could go through it to get defect age field.

Thanks,

Sushant

Navarambh Software - Gmail
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2019

Hi,

AIO Reports and Timesheets for Jira is a third party plugin available on Atlassian marketplace. You can get step by step instructions to create the defect age report at this link: https://aioreports.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ART/pages/426131/Jira+Open+Issues+by+Age

If you face any issues, please email us at support@aioreports.com and we will be happy to provide a demo.

Regards

AIO Support

0 votes
László Gubicza August 30, 2019

I was looking for a plugin for the dashboard that showed me the oldest issues in a chart or list in the order of the age of the issues. I couldn't find that either but I have a workaround that might help you partly  too.  It can list the first n oldest open issues.

- I use "Filter results" plugin on dashboard to collect the oldest issues.
- In the plugin I use a special filter where I narrowed down my original issue filter to have only the open issues (in a set of statuses) listed to remove the Done issues from the age list.
- In the filter I sort the results by Created date.
- You can set how many results I want to see in this plugin. I set it to 20.

You can specify in the plugin which fields to show in the columns, so in the end on the dashboard I have a plugin with a list of the 20 oldest open issues in a table sorted by Created date and listing Assignee, Prio, etc.

I know that it is not the wanted output for you but can help.

If you really want the output grouped by age categories (1 day old, 2 days old, etc issues) you can have a separate Filter result plugin for each category that collects only issues that are in the range. I guess you can setup the filters (one for each plugin) to find issues between dates or between elapsed times, too

For example to filter issues that are between 20 and 80 days old use this in the filter:

AND created >= "-80d" AND created <= "-20d"

0 votes
Folarin Osibodu December 27, 2018

This one seems to work for me: Resolution Time. Resolution Time.PNG

Paul Henry December 27, 2018

It works if you are interested in a bar graph of resolution times for issues. This particular request is about issues that are not yet resolved, and displaying them visually in buckets of time ranges of how long they have been open.

Like # people like this
Mike Venere Braun May 28, 2019

Hey @Paul Henry

Were you ever able to find something that satisfied this requirement? I'm running into this issue about 6 months later, ha.

Best, Mike

Paul Henry May 28, 2019

Mike,

Unfortunately no, although I have not had time to research other reporting plugins as of yet. So I am still using my 4 filters for the raw values and then extracting that data to Excel for the actual graphic. I only need to do that on a monthly basis, so it is not a significant amount of work for me.

Regards,
Paul

Like Mike Venere Braun likes this
Mike Venere Braun May 28, 2019

Thanks for the quick response Paul!

Dominic Buzzelli July 9, 2019

I too have been searching for some kind of Issue/Defect Aging chart but haven't been able to find anything or figure anything out; Average Age is not the same.

Defect Aging is a standard metric in defect management, how does Atlassian not have something for that.

And how do you complain to them?

Like # people like this
Arvind Sinha February 2, 2020

I followed the below mentioned approach to meet my requirement;

1. I created a filter to fetch all the open issues (i.e. not closed, resolved...).

2. Used the inbuilt gadget "Recently Created Chart" with my filter to get a monthly Bar-Chart of count of open issues. 

It may be a workaround for others.

Like Manoj Khaire likes this
0 votes

How about this gadget called: Average Age ChartAverage Age.PNG

Paul Henry December 27, 2018

Unfortunately that does not really address what I and others are looking for, which is essentially an aging report of the # of issues that have been open for a particular range of time. For me, I want to know how many requests have been open between 0 - 7 days, 7 - 14 days, 14 - 21 days, and 21+ days. I've resorted to creating 4 filters for those ranges and using the Issue Statistics gadget, which gives me the raw values, but I would ideally like to see it in a bar chart format, so I'm currently extracting those raw values to Excel, but will be looking into some reporting plugin's in the new year.

Like Avanish Pathak likes this

Okay. How about my next reply?

0 votes
S.B. August 8, 2018

I'm looking for the same report too

0 votes
Sean August 2, 2018

Keeping this alive in the hopes for an answer!

0 votes
Paul Henry July 11, 2018

This thread seems dead, but I too am looking for a similar report so that we can move off of Zendesk. Has anyone found a solution?

0 votes
Arun K R February 13, 2018

I also need a similar  report with Ageing / Count with Drill down to get details of the count. Did anybody found a solution?

0 votes
Jeff d'Ambly October 21, 2015

I'm looking for a similar report has anyone found a solution?

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2013

Unfortunately you are on OnDemand which does not allow you to have customization :( Otherwise the possiblity would be to use a scripted field which returns the number of days and use the Issue Statistics gadget based on this field. You may also even have the days as a range (something like 1-5 days, 5-10 days, more than 10 etc.)

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV

Suggest an answer