Renaming workflow status breaks issue navigator filters

Rutger S October 6, 2014

The following happened: we wished to rename a certain workflow status, so, as a JIRA sysadmin I renamed it in the Admin section.

Saved issue filters break, when they select issues on the basis of this workflow status. The new result states 'The value '{old value}' does not exist for the field 'status'. What I expected is that the technical id of the status is used and not the visible name, so all filters would still show the correct results. The problem may be clear: it's just not attainable to manually check and alter all filters with regard to the renamed status. In other words, under these circumstances we can't realistically change a status.

The same may apply to other 'global' JIRA values (e.g. priority). Didn't check this however.

Interestingly, in the JIRA Agile interface (boards) the status name is actually renamed into the new, so there we don't have the problem e.g. in the swimlanes related to this status.

Does this sound familiar? Am I missing something or is this a bug or new feature perhaps?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2014

Hi Rutger, 

So far this is normal behavior for Jira.  The reason why it's not applying to the agile board is exactly because the columns are mapped to Status IDs, while MOST filters search for matches in the name as a string.  If you're comfortable with it and not afraid of breaking anything the fastest way to do a bulk fix of all of your filters would be by directly editing them in your database and cleaning out the cache of your JIRA instance (with the script runner plugin)

That being said, you CAN create filters that do their searches by id, you just need to enter it.  For example, in JQL, should you search ''Status = 1'' It should return all Open issues, and will still return them if you change the name

Rutger S October 8, 2014

Hi Ubisoft, Thanks for the answer. As you saw I presumed such a thing. It's a pity the saved filters aren't automatically linked to the right status (using the technical id instead of visible name). I'll see if it's worthwhile going into the database...

Suggest an answer