Renaming remote gadgets added to JIRA dashboard

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

Dear All,

I have registered "External gadgets" in my JIRA instance. Basically, the external gadgets belong to an remote JIRA instance.

here's the official docs about it - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/adding-a-gadget-to-the-directory-802592294.html

Now, when I try to add gadgets on my dashboard then I do see the remote gadget responsible for fetching and displaying issues from remote JIRA instance. 

The remote gadget which I have added is called "Filter Results" (external) now this name clashes with the "Filter Results" (local) gadget and is very confusing for lot of users. 

Is there a way to rename what is being displayed as the name of the remote gadget, I can't seem to find it anywhere in the docs nor any other approach is coming to my mind. Anyone faced a similar issue?

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Vijay Sv June 3, 2022

Is "Remote Gadget" concept still working? if yes, can you share the KB link.

0 votes
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2018

You probably hit similar case to this - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-19766. So far it looks that would not be possible to rename gadgets in JIRA..

BTW - Your link to docs is broken :) since it contains a %C2%A0 at the end of the URL :) ..

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2018

Thanks @Mirek for the response. I have updated the URL in the description. The link of the issue which you have shared, I have also voted for the that issue long back. But that's not the problem I am facing because I want the "gadget" itself to be renamed before it's actually rendered on the dashboard i.e. in the "add gadget" popup window I want to see the renamed the gadget. While the issue link JRASERVER-19766 is about renaming the title of the gadget which is basically the filter name,

Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2018

Oh.. OK. I did not catch then :) .

When adding an external gadget you use an XML definition. So maybe the name is defined there and somehow can be changed before registering the gadget. However I am not sure if this is possible. That is why it is having (external) and (internal). Logic of implementing that definitely is somewhere there.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2018

The name in the URL is basically the end-point so if we change the name in the URL then it won't fetch any XML. Because the name of the gadget is fetched from the properties file and property is 

"gadget.filter.results.title" and it's mentioned like - "_MSG_gadget.filter.results.title__" in the XML. Now in order to change the name of the remote gadget we would need to update this property in the remote instance's installation directory. This is highly undesirable as it will be global change for the users of the remote instance and we want to change the name so that it doesn't clash with our local instance's gadget name. But we don't want to change the name for the users actually using the remote instance. 

Suggest an answer