Renaming of a JIRA project name

Ishrat September 26, 2016

Hi,

We have a request to rename an existing JIRA project name to a different one. I wanted to know the areas this change would impact? I have known about user filters would be impacted. But wanted to know if there would be other impact also?

Also will there be any need to do a project re-indexing or application re-indexing after we rename to avoid any issues? Please suggest if there are any other configurations we need to consider?

Thanks,

Ishrat

2 answers

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 26, 2016

I've renamed projects before without any issue. However, you can't change the project key.

0 votes
Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2016

hi Ishrat,

Please read the following Atlassian article before editing project Key,

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/editing-a-project-key-802592377.html

They have described the post changes notes, So you should required to handle is this carefully,

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/editing-a-project-key-802592377.html#Editingaprojectkey-changesNotesforchangemanagement

Hope this will answer your questions

Ishrat September 26, 2016

Thanks Mahendran for responding. The document you suggested talks about renaming project KEY. My requirement is only to rename project NAME. I am more concerned to know if it impacts any other places apart from filters? 

Mathiyalagan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2016

Sure, Renaming project will not do major impacts. I have done many time. No issues

Suggest an answer