Renaming a server running Jira/Confluence/Fisheye

Steve Fredrickson August 6, 2013

We are planning on doing a P2V migration of our old Atlassian server to a new VM box. After that we're seriously considering rename the new server to have it more in line with our naming convention; it's currently running on a DB server that's going to be retired.

I'm guessing that my questions are pretty obvious. Are there any gotchas to doing a server rename in this case? We know that we'll have to stop all the processes first and change any references to the old server name in any config files. Beyond that, any other things we need to worry about or have to address? The DNS entries for each application is by IP address and matches the old server; the new server name will be tied to that same IP address so we're talking about tombstoning the old server in DNS (if it's not done automatically by the rename).

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2013

Hi Steve,

In the JIRA case, you'll need to edit the $JIRA_HOME/dbconfig.xml and fix the DBCP connection string with the new IP/DNS on it. In Confluence it will be on $CONF_HOME/confluence.cfg.xml. I'm not sure where to fix it on FishEye.

After that, you'll also need to fix the Base URL for all applications on Administration -> General Configuration.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Steve Fredrickson August 13, 2013

Lucas,

Great response. After we do the P2V migration I'll initiate the server rename effort and post our results here. I appreciate the quick reply.

Steve

Steve Fredrickson August 27, 2013

Lucas,

Just to clarify, the changes in $JIRA_HOME/dbconfig.xml and $CONF_HOME/confluence.cfg.xml are for the database connection string. In our case our database is MS SQL and we had already migrated that to another DB server so these files don't need any further changes.

I did find a reference to the server name in $JIRA_HOME\logs\support\application.xml. It was four parameters:

1. <system information><User Name> = VALANT-DB02$
  2. <environment-variables><COMPUTERNAME> = VALANT-DB02
  3. <environment-variables><USERNAME> = VALANT-DB02$
  4. <java-runtime-environment><user.name> = VALANT-DB02$

I'm not sure about the User Name parameters and how they're used, but it appears that the COMPUTERNAME parameter would have to change.

As for FishEye, there is a config.xml file that contains both a DB reference (since changed) and three others:

1. <crowd-properties><application.name> which contains reference to DB02
  2. <crowd-properties><crowd.server.url>=http\://valant-db02.qpsseattle.local\:8080
  3. <properties><property name="applinks.admin.'long guid value'.rpc.url" value="http://valant-db02.qpsseattle.local:8080"

Of the three above, the application.name may not be important but we'll change it. Can I assume that the two URLs definitely need to be changed?

Also, any feedback on Jira->Plugins->FishEye Configuration->Application Link Configuration? That definitely looks like a player but since you can't change the application URL - just the Display URL - then will the application URL show the change when the XML files are changed?

Steve

Suggest an answer