Renamed user has some problems in JIRA 6.1

My issue is similar to: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/250787/after-renaming-usernames-in-jira-6-1-4-worklogs-do-not-expand-author-correctly-in-rest-api

Basically, I renamed a user and it works most places - but not everywhere. Specifically, I have a few plugins (like Watchers plugin and JJUPIN) that seem to be using the user_key instead of lower_user_name. Is there a better solution to doing a complete rename other than the laborious SQL queries mentioned in the linked article?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Accepted answer

As mentioned by @Luther, there is not a pretty solution to this. There will be ugly SQL queries, chewed finger nails, sweat, and possibly tears when you have to rename your user's login inside JIRA.

If there is, I haven't found one. Until JIRA modifies how it stores usernames in SQL, it is going to be difficult. They use pointers currently to handle name changes, instead of updating the user_key (which shouldn't be a 'key' in the first place).

Thanks for providing confirmation of the issue. My solution was to contact the plugin vendors and let them know of the issue caused by Atlassian's design of user names. Apparently no one at Atlassian ever gets married ;) Otherwise this issue would be much more obvious!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 29, 2018 in Jira

How to set up an incident workflow from the VP of Engineering at Sentry

Hey Atlassian community, I help lead engineering at Sentry, an open-source error-tracking and monitoring tool that integrates with Jira. We started using Jira Software Cloud internally last year, a...

1,122 views 0 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you