Renamed Workflow Item, Did Not Rename In Workflow Dropdown

bjordansb July 23, 2014

We added an item to our workflow named "Published". We later decided we wanted to rename "Published" to "Archived". We renamed the item in the workfow and the change shows on the diagram, however it does not show in the workflow drop down on the item details page.

Please see attached image, hopefully it wil help illustrate the problem.

I've looked everywhere and cannot figure out how to rename "Published" to "Archived" in the dropdown. Selecting "Published" in the dropdown seems to set it to "Archived", however we cann't get the dropdown label to update. I'd apprecaite any help, I must be missing something.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2014

You're confusing the transition name with the status.

When the workflow was created, the "all" transition going into "published" was called "published". You've changed the name of the status, and that is showing, but you have not updated the name of the transition.

In the red box around "archived", click the line from "all", you'll get to see (and edit) the transition settings - you can change the name in there.

If you have a look at the default built-in workflow, you'll see loads of examples of this - "start progress" and "Stop progress" are transitions between the status "open" and "in progress" - totally separate names.

bjordansb July 23, 2014

Nic, thank you!! That makes perfect sense. I knew I had to be missing something. I spent way too long trying to figure this out yestrday. Thank you so much for the quick accurate response.

Jessica Doedee May 29, 2018

Thank you!!

Sima June 8, 2020

Thanks a lot, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-! Your answer perfectly helped to solve my problem.

As in my workflow each status can transition to any status, the transitions basically have the same name as the corresponding status. Only when I renamed the status, the transition kept the original (status) name. I was not aware that the drop-down-menu in the view screen of an issue actually lists transitions instead of status. And that I had to update the transition name to make it show what I wanted it to show.

Suggest an answer