Removing a Closed Epic from the Side panel

Juan Du Toit December 21, 2015

Good Day,

I have Epics that have been Closed and resolution set as resolved, but it still appears on the side panel.  All issues related to that Epic is also closed.  No idea how to remove them. 

I also do not have an option to close an epic from the side panel.  The drop down only has 2 option: Edit name and View in JIRA.  

Any ideas?

Regards,

Juan

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2015

Hi Juan,
This is a screenshot of what you should see if you have the right permissions/contexts.

image2015-12-22 9:33:54.png

However, there are some known causes for this not to be the case. The first test is an easy one do you have permission to edit the issue?

After that please review https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=779159206 to see if either of these causes match your scenario.

0 votes
Juan Du Toit December 22, 2015

Hi Phill,

It worked!! Thanks so much.  

The Global Context was correct.  

I had to however set the second part of the "Default Configuration Scheme for Epic Status" To the 3 statuses like the screen shot below.

Thanks again for your time and help!

image2015-12-22 14:22:6.png

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2015

As you did not say which version you are on I will point you at a couple of reference points.

For version 6.7 and earlier https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-epics/completing-an-epic

For version 7.0 https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver070/working-with-epics-762877492.html

The section to look at is how you mark an Epic as Done.

Complete an epicClick the arrow next to the epic's name, then choose Mark as Done from the menu.
This will set the epic's Epic Status field to "Done", but will not affect the epic's workflow or its Status field
, and n
one of the epic's issues will be affected.

Hope this helps.

Phill

Juan Du Toit December 21, 2015

Hi Phill End of the year mistake to not add the version - apologies for that We are using JIRA v6.4.11 I did look at the documentation, but when I click on the Arrow next to the Epic name in side panel the option to Mark the Epic as Done does not appear. This is for Epics that has a closed status as well as Open ones. Also, not sure what the documentation means by: "In the Epic panel, hover over the epic you wish to rename, click the drop-down that appears, and select Mark as Done" Why do I need to rename it? Why is the closed Epics still showing in the side panel? The closed Epics wat Closed and resolution set as resolved by using the projects workflow. Your help and insights are much appreciated Kind Regards, Juan

Suggest an answer