Removing a Closed Epic from the Side panel

Good Day,

I have Epics that have been Closed and resolution set as resolved, but it still appears on the side panel.  All issues related to that Epic is also closed.  No idea how to remove them. 

I also do not have an option to close an epic from the side panel.  The drop down only has 2 option: Edit name and View in JIRA.  

Any ideas?

Regards,

Juan

3 answers

1 accepted

Hi Juan,
This is a screenshot of what you should see if you have the right permissions/contexts.

image2015-12-22 9:33:54.png

However, there are some known causes for this not to be the case. The first test is an easy one do you have permission to edit the issue?

After that please review https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=779159206 to see if either of these causes match your scenario.

As you did not say which version you are on I will point you at a couple of reference points.

For version 6.7 and earlier https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-user-s-guide/working-with-epics/completing-an-epic

For version 7.0 https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver070/working-with-epics-762877492.html

The section to look at is how you mark an Epic as Done.

Complete an epicClick the arrow next to the epic's name, then choose Mark as Done from the menu.
This will set the epic's Epic Status field to "Done", but will not affect the epic's workflow or its Status field
, and n
one of the epic's issues will be affected.

Hope this helps.

Phill

Hi Phill End of the year mistake to not add the version - apologies for that We are using JIRA v6.4.11 I did look at the documentation, but when I click on the Arrow next to the Epic name in side panel the option to Mark the Epic as Done does not appear. This is for Epics that has a closed status as well as Open ones. Also, not sure what the documentation means by: "In the Epic panel, hover over the epic you wish to rename, click the drop-down that appears, and select Mark as Done" Why do I need to rename it? Why is the closed Epics still showing in the side panel? The closed Epics wat Closed and resolution set as resolved by using the projects workflow. Your help and insights are much appreciated Kind Regards, Juan

Hi Phill,

It worked!! Thanks so much.  

The Global Context was correct.  

I had to however set the second part of the "Default Configuration Scheme for Epic Status" To the 3 statuses like the screen shot below.

Thanks again for your time and help!

image2015-12-22 14:22:6.png

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,308 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot