Removing PORTFOLIO Licenses for Some Users

Mark M January 10, 2018

Hi, 

I administer my companies JIRA Software, Portfolio, and Core applications in the Cloud version. We have 54 licenses being used for Software, but I realized recently that those 54 users are also using licenses for Portfolio, when it reality only a handful of admins would ever need to manage anything in Portfolio. 

Reducing this number would greatly lower our monthly cost for Portfolio, but I do not see anywhere under Application Access or within Portfolio's settings that allows me to removes users licenses for Portfolio.

Any advice on where I can change this? 

Thanks,

Mark

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Lukas Krajnak January 10, 2018

Hi Mark, Portfolio licenses are assigned to your instance based on how many Jira Core licenses you have.  So if you have 50 Jira users you can have only exactly 50 Portfolio licenses. 

Regards, 

Lukas  

Mark M January 10, 2018

Hi Lukas, So is it possible to decrease the number of Portfolio licenses? 

For instance, we pay $189/month for 54 Portfolio licenses, but only 3-5 users would ever need access to use Portfolio, which would put us in the $10/month tier (a significant savings).

Is this possible? Or do we have no choice but to have as many Portfolio licenses as we do Software licenses?

Thanks!

Mark

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2018

"Jira Cloud apps are priced based on the maximum users of the Jira products on your instance. For example, if you have Jira Software (50 users) and Jira Service Desk (10 agents) on the same instance, you pay the 50-user price for apps."

Hi Mark, 

Unfortunately, Atlassian has a very smart Pricing model and you have no choice but to have as many Portfolio licenses as you have Software licenses. 

Sorry that I don't have good news for you. 

Regards, 

Lukas 

Only exceptions would be Jira Service Desk Licenses. You can pay per agent rather than your maximum Software licenses. 

Mark M January 10, 2018

Hi Nic and Lukas,

Ah I understand now, thanks for clarifying that for me!

Alex Stansfield August 30, 2018

Damn, that's just killed it for us. We only need a handful of people to have access.

Like Phil Merricks likes this
Samantha Sieverling February 15, 2019

Agreed, they have priced us right out of the market...

Like Phil Merricks likes this
Phil Merricks June 3, 2019

This pricing model is what prevents me from EVER licensing a Jira App ever.

0 votes
Rebeka.Halbert February 10, 2020

Same here we would us so many more apps but this pricing model kills it

Suggest an answer