Removed version from project, now issues not visible on Kanban board - reset version for issue?

Zoltán Lehóczky July 26, 2015

I had certain issues flagged with a version in JIRA. I removed the version (without removing it from the issues first) and now the affected issues aren't displaying on the Kanban board any more.

This is because the query of the board won't return those issues:

project = KEY and (fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY)

This is because for the affected issues somehow the Version field is in limbo and is neither empty, nor containing a version... I tried to clear the value of the Version field through bulk edit, I also similarly tried to set a different version, then clear the field. However nothing will make the issues display, only adding another version to them. Re-indexing didn't help either.

How can I completely wipe out the Version field of these issues so they are matched by the query, or how can I otherwise solve the issue?

Thanks in advance!

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2015

The problem is caused due to this bug: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-22351

A database update is required to workaround the problem until the problem is fixed.

Zoltán Lehóczky July 29, 2015

Unfortunately this is the case.

1 vote
LakshmiS July 26, 2015

change the query for the board to project = KEY

That should display the missing issues also. Check the version number for these.

Bulk update the version for the 'missing issues' to a consistent value other than empty, say 'LATER'

change the query for the board to project = KEY and version = LATER

Zoltán Lehóczky July 27, 2015

So if I understand correctly you advice adding a version to the affected issues. This is a workaround I though about (see the question) but I'd rather not have a version specified for the issues (this is why I removed the version in the first place) and would like to handle them as if their version would be empty, as it appears.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2015

You're right, you really should not have to do this. It should be empty

1 vote
Darren Pegg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 26, 2015

The reindex should have fixed as Nic advised... maybe try renaming 3 folders within the caches/indexes folder found in JIRA install directory and then perform a locked re-index. Once completed remove these renamed folders which are (changes, issues, entities).

I'm on Cloud so this is not an option unfortunately.

Darren Pegg July 27, 2015

Ahh so it is, putting a request into Atlassian support may help, though I doubt they will go into that level of support

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2015

If you delete a version, it should be stripped off the issues as well.  How did you do the "remove" of the version?

Under Project admin/Versions. The version is not actually visible under the issues but still the above query indicates that the Version field is not empty.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2015

I apologise, I was not clear there. When you "removed" it, what do you mean? Merge? Release? Archive? Delete?

It was Delete.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2015

Ok, that sounds like a bug - when I delete a version on the demo system I have here, it is removed from all the affects/fix version fields in my project Could you try re-indexing the project (in the project admin screen) and check the Kanban board again?

I see. I tried re-indexing (also mentioned it in the question) but it didn't help. I'd delete and re-add the issues in questions but there are dozens of them.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2015

Right, so you are on Cloud. When you deleted the version, which option did you choose? "Remove version" or "swap to other version"?

It was Remove version. The affected issues don't have any version (that is visible) specified right now.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2015

Ok, this definitely needs to go to Atlassian support. The query "project = Key and fixVersion is empty" should be returning these issues (assuming there was only one fixVersion, and that's the one you deleted). The next step would be to read the logs, but you can't on Cloud. It's definitely broken, and they need to take a look for us.

This is what happened, so yes, I think too that there is not much else to do. Raised a ticket, will come back if it's solved.

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2015

Great work @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] helping troubleshoot! (y)

Suggest an answer