Remove resolution field from the issue view screen (in 5.2)

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 10, 2013

What is the simplest way to remove the resolution field from the issue view screen
(It's not in the screen configuration).

7 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2013

if you dont need this field at all - you can hide it in field configuration

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 11, 2013

We do need the resolution field, so removing it from the field configuration is not an option.

Thanks anyway.

Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2013

Francis, you need give more info on that exactly you need if you want an answer.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2013

I think that's quite an odd approach - basically "I don't want the field", followed by "yes I do".

I suspect what Francis really means is that he wants field-level security, which Jira doesn't do

Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

yes field level secirity is a good and a flexible solution but not free ;) ( if you about quisapps plugin ) jira itself doesn't have such functionality but, if Francis want to remove this field from all view screens , then i'm sure this can be done through velocity templates editing ( this will be cheap in money but expensive in support - require change at every upgrade )

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2013

Yup, that's why I mentioned it. The question wasn't really clear on the exact intention at first, but now it's clear, the answer is, as you say, "code". Either via someone's plugin, or by amending templates in the core.

There is another road though - ask why the resolution needs to be hidden. If we knew exactly why the field needs to be hidden in certain ways (the "business requirement" I guess?), then it might be possible to remove the need for coding via user education or doing things differently.

francis
Marketplace Partner
April 14, 2013

The question is indeed unclear - sory that it took a weekend to get to that conclusion,

The resolution field is necessary to know what the outcome of an issue is, so we need it in our field configuration. That way, it can be used in queries and so on.

The problem we try to solve is to create a very issue view screen, with only a couple of fields (excluding the resolution field). Removing it from the screen configuration has no effect, as it still comes up on the issue view screen.

The field security plugin is not an option - the resolution field still needs to be editable in transition screens and such ...

Francis.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2013

I think you're stuck then. If you can't use behaviours/security or related tricks, then the default behaviour for Jira is "show it if there is data for it", and as you're using the field, it's going to have data, and hence appear.

Best you can do, I think, is some javascript to hide it - it'll still be in the html, but a browser should be able to hide it after the page loads.

I do have one nagging doubt though - from what you've said, you are using the field, so I'm questioning why you're trying to hide it. If it's something I can search/report on, then I tend to want to see it on the issue.

francis
Marketplace Partner
April 14, 2013

Right.

For the reason why - the use case is similar to a 'known issues setup' where you just want to show the summary, the description and a couple of custom fields, but not the other fields, while these fields are still relevant for the management of the issues.

Should the fact that the resolution field is showing, even if it is not in the screen configuration be considered as a bug (or a feature) ?

Francis

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2013

I really don't think it's a bug at all. It's important information about an issue, so it should be shown.

Your use-case is that you want a vastly simplified view. That's not really very helpful for most users, so it's not really designed in. I don't see what use an oversimplified issue-view is myself, generally I'd want "look at issue" to tell me everything. If you just want a tiny handful of fields, I'd create a filter for the users and set the columns - a list would be far more useful with simple views. Or, if code is an option, then I'd consider writing a simple view panel (so you'd have normal issue view, XML, Excel, Printable and "Simple" as view options)

francis
Marketplace Partner
April 14, 2013

Hi Nick,

It might not be what most users want, but these users are asking for it, so at least I can tell them how to implement it if at all possible.

But thanks anyway for confirming what I suspected.

Francis

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2013

Well, now you've explained the use case, it makes a bit more sense. I assume you've got one simple resolution like "done" and you don't use anything else.

I still feel it's a waste of time putting any effort into modifying Jira for this. When I've done it (single resolution, set/unset by workflow, never editable), a simple explanation for the users has been more than enough - 120,000 users over a period of 3 years, I think I got asked twice.

1 vote
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 28, 2013

iDalko

Have you got any solutions?? I have similar problem as you have!!!

francis
Marketplace Partner
April 28, 2013

ck,

The answer is that you can't remove it from the screen, unless that you remove it from the field configuration.

So - no there is no solution (without modifying .vm files)

Francis

0 votes
Deleted user October 20, 2019

I agree that displaying Resolution should be optional. And I would use it strait away because I would prefer to see "Workflow Status" instead. Displaying/hiding a field should not have an effect on other pieces of business logic, right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2019

Problem is that Jira needs it or a batch of reporting and searching will not work as intended.  You can hide it with the field configuration, but if you do that, Jira will stop working properly.

It's a historical design flaw (in my opinion) still hanging over from Jira version 1 (it was fine there, but as soon as we got editable workflows, it should have been redesigned).   Something we all have to work with I'm afraid. 

I'd prefer a subjective meta-status system myself, but it doesn't look like Atlassian  are ever going to change the resolution

0 votes
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2014

In Jira 6.x the Java Script code must be changed a little bit. Instead of #resolution, the id should be changed to #resolution-val, So in the announcement banner the following code can be used:

<script type="text/javascript">
(function($) {
AJS.toInit(function(){
AJS.$("#resolution-val").hide();
});

JIRA.bind(JIRA.Events.NEW_CONTENT_ADDED, function (e, context) {
AJS.$("#resolution-val").hide();
});
})(AJS.$);

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2013

It being there doesn't impact tracking it via status. Nor should displaying the field cause a problem. Just explain that is how the product works. You could just set the resolution to closed for all issues in a post function of moving to the status. I've worked with lots of users and they are usually reasonable about living with product quirks. The other side is to explain this would be a modification to the product only they want and they will have to PAY for it now and every time an upgrade is done. That will probably make them more willing to live with it.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 14, 2013

Just remember, anything you do will have to be redone for each release. I've been involved in that trap woth products in the past where it took us almost a year to refit our modifications after a release. Sometimes people just have to learn to live with something. I find it odd they would want to hide the resolution field.

francis
Marketplace Partner
April 14, 2013

Well, let's lift the curtain a little bit more. The reason why these users don't want to see the resolution field is because they are tracking the outcome of an issue using the status of the issue.

ie. they have a status 'rejected' and 'fixed' ...

The fact of tracking outcome in the status field is historic, and well incorporated in the day to day operations.

Given the way JIRA works, and the fact that much functionality depends on the resolution field being set or not, we have to toggle its value when one of the endstates is reached.

The bottomline is that this resolution (in their case) doesn't add value, but because of JIRA, it need to be used.

0 votes
Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2013

You can try using the JIRA Toolkit Plugin and add a Message Custom Field for the various screens you want to hide any field. And in this Message custom field you can use a Javascript/JQuery hack to hide the resolution field.

Alternaltively Field Security Plugin for JIRA also hides JIRA fields.

Hope this helps!

francis
Marketplace Partner
April 14, 2013

That's a good hack. We might also try the behaviours plugin, but that disables inline editing.

Suggest an answer