Remove or restrict editing of Remaining Estimate field from the backlog issue view

Josh Costella March 28, 2016

We have an issue where we only allow time tracking to occur on sub-tasks. However, via the backlog issue view, a user can edit the Remaining Estimate on a story. Due to our various conditions in our workflow, this creates a problem for us since we only want to use sub-tasks to for time tracking. I've tried the behaviors plugin to make the field read-only but it doesn't stop the ability to inline edit. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Our current solution is a series of conditions for our Story workflow that will require the Remaining Estimate = Null in order to proceed but if we can stop it at the source, that's what we would prefer.

2016-03-28 14_44_33-OSSENG - JIRA Development - Agile Board - Windstream JIRA.png

1 answer

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2016

In the screen scheme of your Story, can you check if "Time Tracking" is in the Edit screen? If yes, can you remove it?

@Gabrielle Bautista [ACP-JA], thanks for your response. Unfortunately, Time Tracking is not present on our Edit Screen.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2016

Ah, in your Board Configuration, click on the "Issue Detai View" and check what you have.

@Gabrielle Bautista [ACP-JA], Time tracking is not included in the issue detail view.

2016-03-28 15_10_10-Configure Board - IT_SDLC.png

Casey Entzi October 19, 2017

did you ever resolve this? we have the same issue.

Wanda L. Lugo January 25, 2018

i have questions pertaining to this. 

1.  I can take the time tracking out of the edit screen to prevent users from changing the original estimates, however, if i want the managers to be able to edit the time tracking/original estimates, what screen would i put that in, or how would i restrict those fields to users with certain permissions?

2. The Remaining Estimate field is in the Log Work section, so my employees can edit that field.  I need the employees to be able to log there time for the JIRA issues, however I don't want them to be able to edit the Remaining Estimates field.  How can i make that field on that page read only?

original estimates.PNGRemaining Estimates.PNG

Suggest an answer