Remove (or repurpose) Versions Panel from Agile Board

Rose Cruz March 22, 2018

I have a case for removing (not just hiding) the Versions panel from Agile Boards.

Our boards pull in issues from multiple projects. The issues do not use the standard Fix Version field - they use custom version pickers only. If users drag & drop issues to the Versions panel, Jira sets the Fix Version, even though that field is hidden on all field configurations. Then Jira adds a misleading version lozenge to the card in the backlog. Seems the only way to remove it is to temporarily "show" Fix versions on those field configs, bulk edit/remove, then hide the FV field again.

We do have a paid license for scriptrunner and a test environment if anyone can give guidance on where to begin. Thanks!

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2018

You would have to rewrite the Jira Software application to do that, the panel is not something you just turn off.  And Script runner and other add-ons can't replace it, there simply aren't the hooks there to do it.

This begs the question of why you don't just use fix versions instead of a less functional custom field.

Rose Cruz March 22, 2018

Thanks for the quick response, Nic. I assumed this was the case but had to ask. The company decided ~6 years ago (before my time) to use a custom version picker instead, mainly so that they could choose the field name. This was before Release Hub and the many other features that come along with system fields. The can of worms is now open! Say we do start using FV, your plugin can copy cf to cf value, but not cf to system field, correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2018

Script Runner can copy from any field to any other.  Although you may have to write your own conversion code if you're doing stuff with incompatible types - like trying to copy a multi-select to a single, or a string to a component.

A version picker field will actually be a doddle, because a version picker holds version objects, same as fix and affects version.

The migration code would be almost as simple as this pseudocode:

• issue.setFixVersion = issue.getCustomFieldValue(yourVersionCFobject)
  • Update issue with issue service
Rose Cruz March 22, 2018

Very good, thanks Nic!

0 votes
Rose Cruz April 4, 2018

Hi Nic,

I don't see any way to mark your answer as correct. But I have a follow up question. I'm interested in the migration code for setting fix version based on the custom version picker field. Can we prevent it from entering a change in the issue history?  Should I submit a support ticket for help with this when we're ready?

Suggest an answer