Remove issue from a sprint via REST APIs

Michele Caramello April 24, 2014

I have Google and found a way to add an issue to any existing Sprint (completed, open, or future) via REST APIs.

While the JIRA Agile REST APIs are available in the JIRA REST API browser, I can't seem to find documentation for the same APIs. I have been wanting to know how to remove an issue from a sprint via the REST API and have been so far unable to find a way to achieve that.

Any suggestion or pointer is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2014

You can remove it by sending a PUT request to /rest/greenhopper/1.0/sprint/rank

with the following (sample) data

{"idOrKeys":["AG-1"],"customFieldId":10014,"sprintId":1,"addToBacklog":false}

The way I found that was by just opening the "Network" tab of my Chrome browser developer console and looking at the XHR request generated when I remove issue from sprint

Note that the JIRA Agile REST API is not public, so this might break across versions.

Hi Boris,

I know this endpoint being the way to 'add' the issue to a sprint.

To remove the issue from a sprint does the sprintId need to be blank?

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2014

No, I think the request for add and remove is exacly the same except the addToBacklog parameter

Hi Boris,

I figure it out. To remove from a sprint the sprintid needs to be omitted and addToBacklog needs to be set to true.

This worked but does not solve my original problem unfortunately: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-38026

I am marking your comment as an asnwer.

Thank you!

Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 24, 2014

I've tried this only on future sprint, so probably the parameters depend on the status of the spint - if it's not started you should provide an id , if started you do not need to provide id and if closed - you already reported the problem

Suggest an answer