Remove filter subscriptions from past users

Andreas Gounaris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2012

Hi,

I need to remove personal subscriptions made by users who no longer work with us.

How can I do that? Instructions are given for direct database access. What about the OnDemand?

If it was possible to log in as the relevant user, I could do that, but no such plugin (groovy or SU) is installed in OnDemand instance.

As a last resort, I'd change the password of the user and log in to his account and remove the subscription.

Thanks,

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andreas Gounaris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

Thanks guys, changing the user's email is suggested by Atlassian support as well but I found it completely inelegant.

Suggested method leaves subscriptions/filters open thus, even if you take the ownership of his past issues you still can't delete the user. Removing a user is definitely required when you have a limited user licenses and people come and go often.

What I did is changed the user password, logged in and removed his subscriptions manually.

I wonder, is there any plans in future versions of Jira for issues like that? (removing a user and all references from the system).

cheers

1 vote
Oliver Wahler August 14, 2012

As far as I know, there is no ideal way of deactivating such subscriptions.

You may want to vote on the respective feature request. I believe it is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-23462

The way we currently prevent notifications/subscrptions being sent out to deactivated users is changing their email address to one, which collects all the "garbage" (logging in to the user's account would be too much effort). Currently this works for us, but from a performance and data integrity perspective it is not ideal.

But an admin interface would definately be our desired solution.

1 vote
Foong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2012

Is your instance accessible by the public (Browse Projects permission = Anyone)?

If not, then you can just remove the user from all the groups so that the user will not have the permission to view the issues in the Project. The filter subscription depends on the permission. If the user does not have the permission, then no email will be sent to the user from the filter subscription.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2015

But there is still a lot of work done by large JIRA instances to check that the user does not have this permission.

0 votes
Tini Good
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2016

I was looking for the answer to this question today.  It appears the only free option is to recreate the user account as a local account, login, and directly edit.  There are two pay (plugin) options according to the (new?) JIRA knowledgebase article that provide an easier workaround.  One is the Script Runner option shown here, the second is a JIRA SU plugin. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/deleting-other-users-private-filters-and-subscriptions-296913389.html

At any rate, the feature request for admins to edit other user's filter subscriptions is here:  https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-41269

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-23462 was referenced by prior commenters on this post.  I note it is marked resolved, and it did ask for something similar, but Atlassian fulfilled it by simply stopping all filter subscription emails to inactive users.  The subscription still exists, it just doesn't send email. 

0 votes
Aron Felberbaum December 31, 2015

Script Runner has a built-in script 'Switch to a different user', so you could login as the subscriber and make changes.

Suggest an answer