Remove comma from numeric field

Please tell me, I can remove the comma automatically inserted in the numeric custom field in Jira. I am using OnDemand and am therefore unable to use some of the obvious solutions found on the net

4 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

You can't change this in JIRA onDemand as it involves editing some system files.

Hi, just checking in to see any progress as we face the same issue, the number showing in 5,555 for 4-digit with comma; wonder any solution not to use 1000 separator ? 

The number we need is created during data migration, and somehow it cannot be searched in right top corner, either. 

cc @Kathrine Laurit  @Jobin Kuruvilla [Go2Group]  @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] @Brant Schroeder

just wonder how to resolve ',' issue completely in year 2017 or 2018 :-) 

It's not an "issue" - most humans prefer to see the separators!  So, it's not changed.

oh, even though that is driven by 1000 separator ?  :-) I see your point, if we use number for currency, that is perfect, thousand, million

thank you for sharing your thought, Nic. 

1000 with comma can be chosen.JPG

it would be great not to see ',' 

That's excel, nothing to do with Jira

right, that is what we wish for -  to use or not to use ',' :-)

Thank you though,  and I also got some feedback regarding quick search,  I was told that no way to conduct number quick search, with ',' or without :-)  (not by query line)

This is moronic if it can't be changed!! 

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] "most humans prefer to see the separators!  So, it's not changed."

What a narrow minded comment. What about numbers that don't have commas, such as product numbers, account numbers and the sort. Having commas changes the functionality of that number. 

No, you're falling into a very narrow mindedview yourself there.

Think about it - product numbers, account numbers and other identifiers like that are not numbers, they are strings that happen to be constrained to  numbers.  If my bank account "number" was ABGORB32 it wouldn't be any better or worse than 71153622. 

If you don't want separators in your fields, then use a text field.  Separators are incredibly useful for humans when handling numbers, and I stand by "most humans prefer to see the separators", because it's inarguably correct.

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Every other software has a checkbox to enable/disable this option.... but Jira. Including Excel, arguably one of largest numbers software on the planet. 

Bank accounts are ALWAYS numbers so no, they are not strings and no, they do not have commas separators. 

Phone numbers are just numbers. SSN are just numbers, EIN numbers are numbers. Shall I go on? Do YOU want to think about it a bit more?!

<sigh> No, they're not numbers, as I've already pointed out. 

Yes, they very much are as they are never anything else. <sigh>

Joe Pitt Community Champion Jun 06, 2018

People, @Nic Brough [Adaptavist] doesn't work for Atlassian. He is just saying how it is implemented. And I agree, humans like to see the separators. It makes it easy to see the magnitude. 

Hey people, who said he did? Glad you agree and are completely at odds with how every other software on the planet works and how numbers work. 

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

262 views 5 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you