Remove bundled user installed plugins

Leos Junek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2014

Hello to all,

in JIRA 6.3.6 (WAR, Linux) there are some bundled plugins, that are not necessary in our company. Here are they:

• Bitbucket Importer Plugin for JIM

• JIRA GitHub Issue Importer
  • JIRA Importers Plugin (JIM)

• Redmine Importers Plugin for JIM

There can be found in Atlassian Universal Plugin Manager (UPM) as User installed plugins, though I have never installed it. They cannot be uninstalled, only disabled or upgraded. As soon as they are upgraded, Uninstall button appears and they pretend to be able to be uninstalled. However if uninstalled, there are in UPM again after restart of JIRA, asking to upgrade again.

I have noticed there are a lot of plugins in $JIRA_INST_DIR/tmp/build/war/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins, among others there are

• jira-importers-bitbucket-plugin-1.0.8.jar
  • jira-importers-github-plugin-2.0.2.jar
  • jira-importers-plugin-6.1.15.jar
  • jira-importers-redmine-plugin-2.0.7.jar

So these plugins are bundled. Can I remove them from both

• $JIRA_INST_DIR/tmp/build/war/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins
  • $JIRA_HOME/plugins/installed-plugins

and rebuild JIRA WAR? Could it be dangerous for running JIRA?

You know, I do not really need these plugins and if they are necessary, why are sorted as User Installed Addons and not as System Addons? 

Regards

Leos 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2014

Yes, that is the right way to do it. The only issue (very remote possibility) is that 3rd party developers rely on that add on.

Leos Junek
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2014

It works, thanks for confirmation. Before building JIRA WAR, it's necessary to remove unwated plugin JARs from $JIRA_INST_DIR/webapp/WEB-INF/atlassian-bundled-plugins.

Suggest an answer