Remove an issue from a closed sprint?

Luke Deniston August 28, 2013

How do I remove/move and issue from an old/closed sprint? The "view on board" button takes me to the board but the issue is not there. I need to move it into my current sprint.

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Luke Deniston August 29, 2013

You can't without editing the workflow and creating a "Remove From Sprint" transition, which, you know, makes perfect sense.

Mathieu Cossette June 8, 2021

Check my answer for Jira Cloud, might help you...

0 votes
Sukhjinder Bal December 22, 2020

The easiest way would be to open the Jira ticket individually by adding the correct number in address bar :

open the ticket

click on edit option

Change the Sprint to current or active sprint.

0 votes
edrandall April 27, 2018

Use Bulk-Edit to remove the issue from any sprint.  It then goes into the backlog and you can drag it to the correct one.
Ref. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-do-I-remove-an-issue-from-a-completed-sprint/qaq-p/123077

Radu Ichim October 23, 2018

The closed sprint still remains on the story. Only the current sprint is removed.

Like TigerRisk Partners likes this
Taini Streater November 26, 2018

this used to work but no longer working.

Like Bridgitte Molyneux likes this
Bridgitte Molyneux November 27, 2018

Same here. This is a problem.

Bridgitte Molyneux November 27, 2018

I ended up cloning the issue without the Sprint information, capturing comments into the description and deleting the original issue. In our case we didn't have any time logged on the issue and it was Not Started.

0 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2013

I'm not sure how you would have an open issue that is still in a closed sprint. Closing a sprint will move all issues that are not Done to your backlog. Example:

0 issues were Done.
2 incomplete issues will be returned to the top of the backlog.
1 partially complete issue will be returned to the top of the backlog.

Is it possible that your problem issue is not showing up right now because something has changed that means it no longer satisfies the filter for the board?

Here's an example.

Filter = "Project = W AND labels = X".

1. Issue Y is in Project W and had label X and was worked on in Sprint Z (but was not complete) and showed up on the Report for that Sprint and was also included in the Backlog.
  2. Then the label X gets removed from the issue.
  3. Suddenly, Issue Y no longer shows up in the Sprint Report and is not listed in the Backlog.
  4. Add the label back to the issue and then it appears again in both places.

For me, when the label is missing, opening the issue and then clicking on "view on board" will give an error/response:

There are no boards which contain this issue.

This differs slightly from your reported behaviour.

But maybe it's enough to point you in the right direction?

Confirmed that the ticket shows up in the filter. I don't get an error message, it just goes to the planning page, but the ticket is not there.

Stephan Hostie June 9, 2014

You have to edit the task and remove the Sprint from the task, then you can see it in the backlog again.

But... in the Task history, you will still see the sprint(s) that were completed with the task in it (them)

Laurie Trindle June 26, 2014

You can get open issues in closed sprints if a user clones an old issue and doesn't update the field. Just had it happen. :(

edrandall April 27, 2018

Use Bulk-Edit

0 votes
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 28, 2013

View the issue and click the "to do" button?

ie, re-open it. I'm not in front of JIRA to check... but that should put the issue into your Backlog - from where you can then move it into your Sprint.

The sprint is closed, not the issue.

Suggest an answer