Remove Status from draft workflow

Eric Sara
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2015

I think I have got myself lost.

I have added a new status of Hold to a workflow and how when I try to remove it I get the message of "Statuses cannot be removed from draft workflows".

How do I remove it?

Your help is appreciated.

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2015

You can't delete status in draft mode.  I've just answered it on your similar question at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/18811790

1 vote
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2015

Hi Eric,

You can't remove a Status from a draft workflow, since any projects should be still using it (and probably have some issues in that specific Status).

To delete a Status, you need to disable this Workflow by associating a different one to the projects, making this one idle. After that, the option to remove the Status will appear.

Hope it helps!

Andre

0 votes
rb0 January 16, 2020

Since the accepted answer points to a link that is producing a 404 error, I wanted to answer it again. 

Basically what Jira is telling you, is that there are currently "Tickets" that are in the current and specified status. To get around this, you want to check for any tickets in the project queue, and change them to something else temporarily, while you delete the orphaned status.

Hope that makes sense.

Vince Swann January 17, 2020

It would do when there are issues using that workflow status but sadly you also need to go through the same process even if a workflow status has just been created but no issues are yet assigned that status. In that instance I would hope to be able to delete a status if it is not in use by any issues.

rb0 January 17, 2020

Right, luckily enough I have been working on a new project with no tickets or work inside them, so I was able to just delete the test tickets I created. I assumed changing the status would also be simple.

0 votes
Vince Swann April 16, 2019

I've just encountered this frustrating behaviour myself. 

It seems insane that I can add a status to an active workflow but then cannot delete it even if no issues are assigned to it.

Instead I have to duplicate the workflow, switch the project to use the duplicated one, navigate the the inactive workflows, remove the status then switch the project back to the old workflow, explicitly picking a new status to map the deleted one to for each issue type (even though no issues were ever in that status).

Can nobody at Atlassian see how obviously non-intuitive this process is? It's bizarre user interface behaviours like this that make me regularly yearn for the simpler days when we just used Trello and could be much more productive as a result.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2019

Yes, they see it, but as this doesn't break anything and is trivial for the end user and just slows down admins, it's never going to be a priority.

John Gill May 30, 2019

Wouldn't it be nice if they made my efficiency tool... efficient. 

Like, I'd rather a warning of "THIS COULD BREAK CRAP!!!" than the whole, nanny state style we have. 

Like Vince Swann likes this
Tim Hargan September 26, 2019

Yeah - i really dont get why they make this so difficult - I really dont see the need for workflows and workflow schemes. 

Like Vince Swann likes this
0 votes
John Gill March 5, 2018

Wow this is frustrating, as I'm creating a new project and there are no issues. But I want to demo what I'm doing. So frustrating. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2018

Same answer

0 votes
Sateesh Chandra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2015

Switch to Diagram mode and delete by right-clicking on the status.

Suggest an answer