Remove Confluence from Jira Cloud

Ryan Jones October 17, 2018

Greetings - We are using Microsoft O365 SharePoint Online and Office productivity suite (Word Online, Excel Online, etc). We are not using Confluence for project documentation. Is there a way to remove the Pages menu item from the vertical side menu?jira-remove-menu-item.pngWe are aware there is a Confluence <=> SharePoint connector, but do not want to increase our subscription/license costs and do not want to confuse our users.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Tracy Walton July 1, 2021

Add comments and vote here: http://JRACLOUD-73713

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2018

Hi there, Ryan.

By default, the structure of the Kanban / Scrum project page is configured to have the Page tab on the left panel. While I can understand that you are not using Confluence for project documentation and confusing users, may I know if there are any specific reasons as to why you would like to have it removed before I reach out to the dev / engineering team? 

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 09.26.12.png

Clicking the tab shows the following screen and it requires you to connect a space first in my case as I have Confluence connected. May I know what you are seeing on your end?

Ryan Jones October 22, 2018

Hi Ahmad - Thank you for responding. I've answered your questions below:

may I know if there are any specific reasons as to why you would like to have it removed before I reach out to the dev / engineering team? 

• I'd like it removed because it will confuse my users and take them away from using the features provided in our Jira Cloud subscription. Here are some more specifics on why:
  • Our team is new to Jira and will be eager to use the Jira features.
  • They will click the Pages menu item to go to the Pages landing page.
  • Because there is no warning or notification that the Pages / Confluence feature is not provided for our subscription, when the users arrive on the Pages landing page, they will think they can create a Blank page, Decision, or Meeting notes, etc.
  • Afterwards, they will receive the Try Confluence pop-up and my users will be confused and will stop working and search the web for using Pages/ Confluence or ask questions about the feature even though they do not have permissions to use it.
  • I will explain to our users that we are not using Confluence / Pages documentation because our organization uses Microsoft O365 / SharePoint Online for project documentation, but I prefer to hide the Pages buttons and all Confluence features so users can focus on the Jira components/features.
  • Here's a User Story for your tech/dev team:
  • As a new Jira user, I believe I can use Pages / Confluence features because Jira does not state that it requires an additional license until they have already clicked 1) Pages menu link and then 2) one of the page templates or Blank page option. 
  • This will take up the users time and confuse them.

Clicking the tab shows the following screen and it requires you to connect a space first in my case as I have Confluence connected. May I know what you are seeing on your end?

• Confirmed the same view as your screenshot

Jira Cloud has configuration and setting options, but no settings to disable Confluence. 

Thank you

Like Brandon Perry likes this
Brandon Perry December 2, 2019

It looks like the team has allowed the Pages link mentioned here to be toggled, but in the process added a "Plan Sprint" dropdown on the Backlog view which has the exact same issue, and this one doesn't allow disabling it:

plan-sprint-confluence-in-jira.png

Is there any way we can just globally disable all Confluence-specific features?  It's very confusing for users when actions are mentioned as if they're viable with the current license, and it feels like a high-friction upsell attempt.  It doesn't sit well with users to have features mentioned so prominently and then yanked after two clicks.

Like Tracy Walton likes this

Suggest an answer