Remote Issue Link between JIRA and Confluence shows "Failed to load" in JIRA

Henning Tietgens Community Champion Jan 16, 2013


we have connected our JIRA 5.1.8 and Confluence 4.3.2 systems through an Application Link. If I insert a JIRA issue into a Confluence page there is automatically a remote issue link created within the JIRA issue.

This remote issue link shows "mentioned in Wiki Page Failed to load". Within Confluence the Issue information (key, summary, title) is displayed correctly.

Within the logfile there is following error while JIRA tries to display the remote issue link:

2013-01-17 16:03:08,186 http-8443-83 ERROR [...] /rest/viewIssue/1/remoteIssueLink/render/11101 [] Error occurred while generating final HTML for remote issue link: java.lang.NullPointerException

Both systems are configured to use SSL.

First we tried a Trusted Applications link only, than added OAuth and than Basic Access. So all three ways to configure an Application Link are configured in both systems.

Any ideas, what could be wrong or how to get more informations about thre problem?



6 answers

I am also seeing this issue and not yet able to determine why

There are several possible causes for this, and seems like you have already checked a number of them. One thing you might want to check is in Confluence, make sure you have Remote API (XML-RPC & SOAP) option enabled, from General Configuration.

Henning Tietgens Community Champion Jun 16, 2013

Thanks, our Confluence Admin checked that and it's enabled. Any other hints?

0 votes
Henning Tietgens Community Champion Jun 17, 2013

If I try to add a Confluence link and search for a Confluence page I get this error in the log:

2013-06-18 09:51:23,752 http-8443-167 ERROR htietgens 591x112670x1 abcdef /rest/confluenceIssueLink/1/confluence/search [common.error.jersey.ThrowableExceptionMapper] Uncaught exception thrown by REST service
        at com.atlassian.applinks.core.auth.ApplicationLinkRequestAdaptor$1.handle(
        at com.atlassian.applinks.core.auth.ApplicationLinkRequestAdaptor.execute(

0 votes
Ruchi Tandon Atlassian Team Jun 17, 2013

I found this KB article that seems to be relared to the problem in your case.

I hope this helps!

Henning Tietgens Community Champion Jun 17, 2013

Thanks, but we removed any IPs from the Trusted Application settings to not restrict the access and to remove potential problems. So IMO this could not be the problem...

@Henning Tietgens Did you find the root cause?

0 votes
Henning Tietgens Community Champion Oct 28, 2014

No, it's still an issue. Sometimes it's working partly, sometimes not. One thing is to make sure both servers have the SSL certificates of the other server installed. But unfortunately that's not all...

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,725 views 17 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you