Relocate database

lhaynes4 March 27, 2014

What are the steps to relocate my Jira database to a new partition on the same server with more space.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2014

Stop Jira, stop the database server, move the data, reconfigure your database server to use the new location, restart the database server, restart Jira.

Jira doesn't actually care where the database is physically located, it talks to the database server, not the file system.

lhaynes4 March 27, 2014

Thanks for the info. How to reconfigure the database to use the new location. Is that just the dbconfig.xml file?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2014

No, you haven't understood what I said. You need to reconfigure the database to read its data from the new location. The dbconfig file tells Jira what database to connect to.

lhaynes4 March 27, 2014

Ok. What are the steps to reconfigure the database to read its data from the new location? What files need to be changed?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2014

I have no idea. You haven't told us what database server you are using.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2014

Very heavy emphasis on the "not for production use" - I've moved HSQL test databases around using that method, and sometimes it works, and other times, you lose everything. Definitely not for production (there's other things that go "bang" if you use hsql as well...)

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2014

Hi,

If you are using HSQL database (The one which comes embedded with jira standalone and is not for production use) you can try followin:

1. stop jira

2. copy database folder mentioned in dbconfig.xml to new location

3. update dbconfig.xml with new location

4. start jira

BR,

Andris.

Suggest an answer