Releasing project version using Transitions

Siddharth Srinivasan July 8, 2013

I am thinking about creating a release workflow for some of my projects. I would like to create a "Release" issue, and have a transition called "Release", which would close the JIRA release version (mark the version as "Released") associated with that issue (the "Fix Version" of that issue). Currently I manually administer the project, click the cog icon next to the release version, then mark it as released.

Can this be done?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 8, 2013

You will have to develop a post function that does this. Use VersionManager.

Sian Royal December 14, 2017

No idea what you mean at all.  I am not finding the documentation clear at all.  So what exactly am I mean to do with a post function and I have no idea how to use VersionManager.  Perhaps you could give me step by step guide as I am new to Jira.  The only reason I am using Jira is for defect management from TestRail.

Thanks

Sian

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

This post is nearly 5 years old, and things have moved on a bit.  As an old question, only a limited number of people will have seen your reply too.

I suggest you re-ask the question of the whole community, detailing your scenario, mentioning that you're using TestRail explicitly (as this question is not about TestRail at all).

0 votes
Sian Royal December 14, 2017

Thanks Nic

I shall do so.

Kind regards

Sian

Mani Reddy April 23, 2018

If anyone looking for an answer to @Siddharth Srinivasan's  question,

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor

def project = ComponentAccessor.getProjectManager().getProjectByCurrentKey("PROJECT KEY")
def versionManager = ComponentAccessor.getVersionManager()

def version = versionManager.getVersion(project.getId(), issue.getFixVersions())
versionManager.releaseVersion(version, true)

Suggest an answer