It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Release burndown report data issue

Hi all,

I seem to be having an issue with the release burndown report (or I do not understand how to use it properly, in either case help would be appreciated).

I have a customer requirement to be able to track scope creep through sprints. We have a baseline estimate for the whole project at the very beginning and this will obviously go up and down throughout the project. So here I am thinking "yay, release burndown is my man" (my project is represented as an appropriate fix version / release obviously).

So here is what I did (I assume the order is important):

1. I have created all the relevant issues in JIRA and assigned them to appropriate sprints (none of the sprints being active yet). I have also set the story points on all the issues. The total story points for the project equals 3216 (important figure, this is my baseline and my contractual benchmark with the customer).

2. The first sprint (let's call it "Sprint 1" has two issues, representing 48 story points according to the baseline.

3. At the beginning of the week I have started Sprint 1 and set the sprint duration from Monday (07.10.2019) 8:00 AM to Friday (11.10.2019) 4:00 PM.

4. Today (11.10.2019) at 8:00 AM (so within the sprint time). I have changed the story points on the Spritn 1 issues, because they were done already and they took somewhat less time to do. Specifically I have changed the Story points from 48 to 35.5 (12.5 SP decrease).

5. Also today (11.10.2019) at 9:00 AM I have completed Sprint 1 (changing the end time to 9:00 AM to represent reality) and started Sprint 2.

 

...aaaaand then I checked the release burndown report.

 

What I expected to see:

  • 3216 story points in the "Original estimate at start of version" column

  • 3216 story points in the "Sprint 1" column, consisting of:

  • a) 3168 SP remaining
  • b) 35.5 SP completed in sprint
  • c) 12.5 SP scope change (negative, scope decrease)

 

What I got is:

  • 3203.5 story points in the "Original estimate at start of version" column (so the baseline of 3216 already decreased by 12.5 SP)
  • 3203.5 story points in the "Sprint 1" column, consisting of:
  • a) 3168 SP remaining
  • b) 35.5 SP completed

 

So basically JIRA assumed that the scope change happened before the sprint (still on the baseline level) which is not true. The result is that now my baseline is wrong and it doesn't accurately show the scope change.

 

Can anyone advise whether I am doing something wrong here?

0 answers

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

365 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you