Reinstallation over existing Installation of JIRA

GregM July 28, 2014

It seems I have an installation of JIRA that is hosed. I am trying to reinstall the existing version of JIRA 6.1.2. When trying to do so I am advised that the directory already exists and would I please pick another. So I went to the documentation and found the following page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA061/Restarting+JIRA+from+the+Setup+Wizard. Unfortunately JIRA restarts but I still cannot access and the wizard still tells me I need to change directories. All I need is to run the install program preferably without loosing users and the rest of the base configuration. Is there a way to force the wizard to run?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2014

Ah, no, that's not going to work.

If you run the installation wizard, you get an empty Jira. That's it. It won't pull in bits of an old one, and the whole reason you're getting the errors is that you are not starting with a clean installation.

You need to give it an empty directory, let it install an empty Jira and then go about seeing what you can pull in from the damaged/destroyed one later.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2014

Well, not exactly, but I know what you mean!

GregM July 28, 2014

sorry to hear that as Confluence lets an admin do that....Thanks for the response!

GregM August 3, 2014

I must actually apologize. I am not looking to overwrite the installation (please forgive my newbiness) but a way to get the Configuration Wizard to kick off again. I was unable to do so. I tried several different ways to make that happen including the link I listed above to no avail. Any further help here would be helpful.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 3, 2014

The wizard is triggered by having an empty installation. You don't need to overwrite the damaged one, just create an empty one in a new place. Then the config wizard will kick off when you first run the new installation.

Suggest an answer