Regional control of data stored by Atlassian?

Jonathan Botts December 10, 2018

Given changes in international laws, Is there a way to determine if data and info stored in my cloud instance is stored on North American Cloud Infrastructure?  Is this something that can be controlled with Atlassian Cloud?

I must maintain North American Standards for data and privacy and given recent international laws changing I will need to be able to guarantee what services we use are effected.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2018

Hi @Jonathan Botts

if you have a look at this page and scroll down to Frequently Asked Questions, you can see that Atalssian will actually store data in the region closest to where users are accessing it.

So, to me it means that even if you are a North America customer, if the majority of your users are accessing your Jira/Confluence instance from Europe then the data might be migrated to Europe.

Basically, I don't think it's possible to force where the data is kept.

Let me know if you have any questions, 

--Alexis

Jonathan Botts December 12, 2018

Thank you @Alexis Robert,

I wish we had some control over where data is stored. With regulations and requirements changing it's nice to know what jurisdiction your data is in.

1 vote
lauren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2019

Hey @Jonathan Botts - thank you for reaching out. As @Alexis Robert said, we optimize where customer data is located, but can't promise that all your data is isolated to a particular region.

However, this is an offering we are currently working on - I'd love to get a better feeling for what data needs to be isolated to the U.S. in order to meet your requirements. For example, would you need primary product data stored in the U.S., or would you also need identity data and app/integration data stored here as well? 

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Jonathan Botts June 5, 2019

Hello Lauren,

As we work with sensitive client data and integrate with several systems it would be most beneficial if we could confidently report to all parties that all of our data (both identity data and application and integration data was housed in a region where local law does not conflict with expected privacy. 

Thank you again for looking.

Suggest an answer