Regarding JIRA6 Source code customization.

Nithin CK June 30, 2013

Hi,

We are migrating from JIRA 4.3 to JIRA 6. There were certain customization done in the source code of JIRA 4.3. There was a class called CreateIssueHandler.java, whcih was changed to add some customization. I dont have access to the JIRA 6 code yet. But If anybody can help me with following questions.

1. If i get access to the code for JIRA6 when my IT support team gets it. How do I complie the code?

2. I understand that there is something like external-source in JIRA where i can put my small changes of code. But how do i complie it? this souce code should be the source files present in the JIRA code itself? how does it complie when it is put in the different directory than the original package of the source file.

I am still looking in to the code changes for the customization. Need to migrate changes in to the JIRA 6 server as well. Please help.

Thanks,

Nithin.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2013

1. https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Building+JIRA+from+Source

2. This is a little confused - you might be talking about a number of things. There's three layers to compiling stuff you might mean.

• Plugins/addons - these are compiled outside Jira completely, but, when installed, use the internals of Jira directly. You can compile these yourself, but it's far easier to simply use the Atlassian SDK as a framework. You do NOT need Jira source code to do this
  • WAR distributions of Jira - these are changes you make to the core distributable files - tweaks to jsp and vm files, properties and settings files, adding certain types of plugin etc, but no Java. To do this, you'd download a WAR copy of Jira, put your changes into "edit webapp" and recompile the WAR file to be deployed. This does NOT need the Jira source code.
  • Compile the whole of Jira from source (although, you can, of course, do bits of it, it's often not necessary to do everything).

Whatever code changes you're looking at, you need to establish where they are before you can start on them.

Suggest an answer