Refreshing JIRA dev server with JIRA production server data

Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2014

Hello,

I am looking into updating our JIRA dev server with production data.

However, I want to be sure any plugins work I have done doesn't get over-written.

It would be ideal if the refresh only changed the issues in project and left everything else alone.

Is this possible? How do you guys create your dev servers?

My worry right now is taking a mysqldump and restoring it will lead to over-writing any expirements we are running in Dev. Any advice?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Abhi Vaishnav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2014

We ended up creating a seperate JIRA staging server that is refreshed periodically, but no experiments are run on.

Our setup now resembles the one outlined in this document. It works out for the best.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Establishing+Staging+Server+Environments+for+JIRA

We have a script that refreshes the db but also attempts to set the header color and update the LDAP config. For future reference so as to let users distinguish the different instances.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2014

You are spot on. If you do the full restore, any experiments you have been doing will be overwritten. If you just want to import the issues, you might want to look at doing a project import. But that will need the same plugin version etc even though the configurations can be different.

Suggest an answer