Reduce Jira log noise re: no default SMTP Mail server

Carlos David September 13, 2017

Jira 7.3.1

Outgoing mail is disabled yet I am still getting frequent log noise of the form:

2017-09-08 09:58:00,031 Sending mailitem com.atlassian.jira.mail.IssueMailQueueItem@7c6f2627[issue=com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueImpl@2bcc4545[id=15526,summary=Test submission for ABC,key=XYZ-2216,created=2017-09-08 09:57:27.0,updated=2017-09-08 09:57:37.2,assignee=UserAB(useraab),reporter=UserAAB(useraab)],remoteUser=QWE(userQWE),notificationType=Current_Assignee,eventTypeId=13,templateId=13] WARN anonymous    Mail Queue Service [c.a.jira.mail.IssueMailQueueItem] There is no default SMTP Mail server so mail cannot be sent

How can I disable these messages? log4.properties? Thanks for any help

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2017

Yes you could edit the log4.properties to do this, but I find it would just be easier if your a JIRA Admin to login to the JIRA site and then navigate to Cog icon -> System -> Logging and Profiling.   On that page there is a section specifically for Mail.  If you are not using any outgoing SMTP, you could simply disable the outgoing mail log.  That would prevent Jira from logging any such events.

The thing about doing this is that it makes troubleshooting mail issues later on very difficult if you do decide to setup an outgoing mail server.  

Additionally you could prevent JIRA from even trying to send future notifications messages at all by instead creating a new notitication scheme that sends notifications to no one, and then associating that notification scheme to your projects.  To do that, you would have to create a new notification scheme and just make sure that all the events are empty and not trying to notify anyone.

Carlos David September 19, 2017

Thanks!

Suggest an answer