Reduce Jira log noise re: no default SMTP Mail server

Jira 7.3.1

Outgoing mail is disabled yet I am still getting frequent log noise of the form:

2017-09-08 09:58:00,031 Sending mailitem com.atlassian.jira.mail.IssueMailQueueItem@7c6f2627[issue=com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueImpl@2bcc4545[id=15526,summary=Test submission for ABC,key=XYZ-2216,created=2017-09-08 09:57:27.0,updated=2017-09-08 09:57:37.2,assignee=UserAB(useraab),reporter=UserAAB(useraab)],remoteUser=QWE(userQWE),notificationType=Current_Assignee,eventTypeId=13,templateId=13] WARN anonymous    Mail Queue Service [c.a.jira.mail.IssueMailQueueItem] There is no default SMTP Mail server so mail cannot be sent

How can I disable these messages? log4.properties? Thanks for any help

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Yes you could edit the log4.properties to do this, but I find it would just be easier if your a JIRA Admin to login to the JIRA site and then navigate to Cog icon -> System -> Logging and Profiling.   On that page there is a section specifically for Mail.  If you are not using any outgoing SMTP, you could simply disable the outgoing mail log.  That would prevent Jira from logging any such events.

The thing about doing this is that it makes troubleshooting mail issues later on very difficult if you do decide to setup an outgoing mail server.  

Additionally you could prevent JIRA from even trying to send future notifications messages at all by instead creating a new notitication scheme that sends notifications to no one, and then associating that notification scheme to your projects.  To do that, you would have to create a new notification scheme and just make sure that all the events are empty and not trying to notify anyone.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,322 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot