Recurring Tasks in JIRA

Magdalena Migas March 3, 2020

Dear Community, 

I would like to create the recurring task in Jira without buying new applications. 

Could you please advise me if there is any ScriptRunner code i could use in order to set up weekly task ?

Thank you in advance :) 

4 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2020

Hi @Magdalena Migas

Just as an alternative - Automation for Jira is now native to all Jira Cloud sites.

You can view the documentation on how to use it in these pages - but one of the triggers in automation you can use is "Scheduled" - to set when an issue should be created each week - and then use an action to create the issue.

You can get started with automation for Jira at a project-level by going to Project Settings > Project Automation.

Ste

Magdalena Migas March 9, 2020

Thank you for advise ! ;)

Like # people like this
Nicolas Balcazar March 17, 2020

this is not for free is  it? 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2020

Hi @Nicolas Balcazar

Automation for Jira is included in the cost of Jira Software Cloud.

Whilst all tiers receive unlimited project-level executions, there are some usage limits for global executions depending on your tier.

These are:

• Free: 100 global executions per month
  • Standard: 500 executions per month
  • Premium: 1000 executions per user, per month
NIROSHAN MADAMPITIGE June 16, 2020

This is great @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ ! I already started using it!

Marco Massarotto October 11, 2021

<< all tiers receive unlimited project-level executions >>  This means that if you define a rule for a single project (1 rule - 1 project), you'll get unlimited executions.

Instead, if you define a rule that apply to multiple projects (1 rule - N projects), so you'll get limited executions. I experienced this problem...

My solution is to CLONE the rules that I need to apply to more than a Project. Obviously, it's not an ideal solution; still a cost effective one.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jorden Van Bogaert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2020

Hi @Magdalena Migas 

I recommend checking this blogpost: https://www.adaptavist.com/blog/automate-your-maintenance-and-keep-your-sanity-with-scheduled-jobs-for-scriptrunner-for-jira-and-jira-service-desk-cloud/

The video at the bottom shows you what it does. I believe this may help you get started with the setup. You'll have to adjust some lines to fit your specific requirement, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Hope it helps!

Kind regards
Jorden

15 votes
Jeff April 28, 2021

Honestly this is just ridiculous.  I use automation for lots of things, but to create recurring tasks?  Come on - there is no way I can expect my users to create an automation rule for every task they want to have recur.

If Atlassian wants people to adopt Jira for general task management and collaboration they need to include basic features like task recurrence.

How this is not already a part of Jira is simply a mystery to me.

Nicolas Balcazar April 29, 2021

💯% my thinking as well!

Like # people like this
Baruch Lerner July 20, 2021

same...

0 votes
Ken Larson January 4, 2023

Looks like the easiest way is with the Python API.  Easy enough to store an copy/paste/update dictionaries for re-use.  Just a little coding involved once you have set up an API token - but yes, the functionality should be built in and way easier than it is.

Suggest an answer