Recover data after computer os crash

Peter February 26, 2013

We have a 5 person setup (Jira/confluence) running on a Windows XP machine. The OS died (corrupted data). I can still access the harddrive and can still read the "program files\atlassian\..." folders. Can I use these files te restore Jira on a working machine again? As you can imagine I can't export any databases as I can't get the machine up and running again.

Yes, I know I should have included this machine in our backup scheme - there's just no excuse. I really would like to be able to slavage all the information in the database.

Any infomation would be greatly appreciated.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2013

Hi Peter,

The JIRA attachments can be easily restored from the file system -- however all the JIRA data will be on the database. Could you also check if there's any autobackup in $JIRA_HOME/export? This is enabled by default in JIRA.

I wish you luck :)

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

Peter February 26, 2013

OMG!! This folder is full of date.zip files, each filled with two XML files. Including a zip file from the morning the machine quit on me!! So it looks like I can import these in a new instance of Jira on a new machine. Awsome!

I'm going to start building the new machine and with the manual's help I'll try importing these XML files.

Thank you so much for for your help.

LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2013

Glad to hear you found the auto-backups. :) You'll be able to restore the ZIP files (don't need to unzip) on a new JIRA with the same or higher version. The attachments aren't included on the ZIP backup, but you can copy/paste them from $JIRA_HOME/data/attachments.

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

0 votes
Andrei [errno]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2013

lessons learned = build a new Linux server to host the tools and avoid XP :)

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2013

Even better, avoid Windows ;)

Suggest an answer