Record of all Email replies in Comments

Emmalee Roach June 12, 2014

After I share an issue with a user or tag them in a comment and they reply to the email sent, they're reply is not being added to the comments section of the issue.

Can this be fixed? I would like the replied message to go to the senders email address (as it does now) and the comments section of the issue.

I need to be able to keep track of all emails sent about an issue, and the comments section seems to be the best option so far. Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Pedro Souza
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2014

Hey,

Let me step in with a suggestion.

Check the mail address for the Notifications of this project on the Administration scetion of this Project.

It may have a different mail than the default outgoing mail.

Cheeers.

Emmalee Roach June 13, 2014

Hi Pedro,

I checked and the email addresses are the same, so that's not the problem.

I was thinking I could add my company's mail server to JIRA in the 'Add POP / IMAP Mail Server' section of administration.

Does doing this mean JIRA will check all incoming mail to my company's mail server and if an email relates to JIRA then it will create a comment?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2014
Sounds like you need to configure jira to "create or comment" by email
Emmalee Roach June 13, 2014

Thank you for your response Nic.

I have create or comment by email enabled that is not the problem.

Commenting by email works fine when JIRA sends an update email, such as the email sent when someone is assigned an issue. This is because the default reply address is the JIRA system email address.

However, for some reason when you share an issue or tag someone in a comment the email's reply address is the sender's email address, not the JIRA system email address, so no comment is created.

However, I'm not sure if you can change the default reply address.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2014

Ah, I see, the outgoing mails have the wrong email address on for the email clients to pick up "reply to" on them.

I've run into this once before, but not worked out a decent fix for it I'm afraid.

Suggest an answer