Recommended deployment of Jira/Agile in AWS?

Ted Low July 1, 2015

Hi,

We are a small startup with only 5-10 users and we are looking to deploy Jira/Agile in AWS (mainly because the hostel solution does not allow your own domain).

What will the recommended instance be?  I don't think I need a M3 or C3 instance?  WIll a T2.small be sufficient or even micro?

I know it been advised not to use micro but is that because it will not run well even with <10 users?

2 answers

2 votes
João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2015

Ted,

Although it's technically feasible to run JIRA in a "t2.small" instance, I'd recommend a "t2.medium" instance, which has 4 GB of memory and 2 vCPUs. You'll have to consider that it will be necessary to run a DBMS on this server as well and JIRA may become slow over time as more issues, add-ons and functions are added.

--
Cheers!

Joao 

0 votes
Ted Low July 1, 2015

Hi,

Is the performance in AWS really bad?  From whatever I can see online, it seems for a similar price, AWS performance is pretty bad versus a normal server.  I could host it on a normal server but I really want the cloud feature since I do find the redundancy useful.

What I appreciate about Amazon is the ability to set my location in Frankfurt whereas Atlassian service doesn't seem to have such an option?  And I think we are forced to host in USA?

If I hosted it on Amazon or Atlassian Cloud, how easy is it for me to move between places.

I am also using this not for programming purposes but in a normal business, so there are a lot of options that seems more complicated than normal, is there maybe a method to turn off options to increase the speed?

I was mainly looking to get JIRA an Agile for the Kanban board feature.

Appreciate the feedback.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer