Recommended codereview workflow/tool by Atlassian

Anna Agafonova December 16, 2012

Could you please provide sime information/links on the recommended codereview workflow by Atalssian? I understand that fisheye/crucible on demand have been dropped since December; however, BitBucket has extremely poor code review functionality (not possible to reject changesets, to request codereview, to review multiple changesets in a single review; no codereview status/workflow integration with JIRA; also, code review notifications are sent both to involved persons and to the primary account email for whatever reason - this one actually looks like a bug). Oplionally, we would also like to have pre-merge code review possibility.

What would be the recommended solution for this? Atlassian Stash looks like something that would work, but it's for Git and we're using Mercurial. We could probably host fisheye/crucible (though would prefer not to), but what about workflow integration with JIRA? I would be grateful for some information on this.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Anna Agafonova January 9, 2013

Here's the answer I got on this question from the paid support:

you won't be able to reach 100% of your requirements. as BitBucket doesn't really offer that much features for code review such as Crucible.

Few options that I can think of would be:

Install Crucible locally and connect it to your JIRA OnDema:

Pros:
You'd be able to do good code reviews and integrate it in a better way with JIRA and even trigger JIRA issues from your Crucible instance.
Cons:
It will require some resource from your end for a server to host and maintan Crucible installation.
Stash:

Pros:
Stash is good tool to manage code and users behind the firewall, it offers a good amount of control and code review workflows as well.
Cons:
It only supports Git and doesn't have support for Mercurial.

So there, no good solution, really. We'll probably look into third-party tools first, then into hosting Crucible locally - though both possibilities have ridiculous maitenance overhead and kind of beat the purpose of having JIRA as on-demand service.

1 vote
AndyAtTogether January 31, 2013

how about a free local install crucible license for customers who are allready running ondemand?

it seems to me like i'm about to lose functionality that i'm currently paying for, i'm also going to lose the conveniense of a hosted solution, If i cover the expense of purchasing and maintaining a local server, how about your guys cover the cost of the license until you sort your act out?

0 votes
Anna Agafonova May 23, 2013

A little update here - we've been using JIRA onDemand + BitBucket for quite long already, and we've been able to comeup with a code review workflow that doesn't cripple the development process.

We created a custom issue status "In Review" in JIRA, and the workflow is:

Resolved -> (request review) -> In Review

In Review -> (review and reject) -> Reopened

In Review -> (review and approve) -> Closed

Actual code comments are added in BitBucket, and as changesets are being synced to JIRA, it's really one-click. Works quite well for us, can recommend.

Anna Agafonova May 23, 2013

Addtionally, as issues in review are resolved, but added to the Open swimlane, they are nicely shown as striked-out, which makes it simple to distinguish them from open tasks.

0 votes
Ivaylo Stanev January 4, 2013

Same problem here.

Would appreciate some feedback.

Anna Agafonova January 9, 2013

Here's the answer I got on this question from the paid support:

you won't be able to reach 100% of your requirements. as BitBucket doesn't really offer that much features for code review such as Crucible.

Few options that I can think of would be:

Install Crucible locally and connect it to your JIRA OnDema:

Pros:
You'd be able to do good code reviews and integrate it in a better way with JIRA and even trigger JIRA issues from your Crucible instance.
Cons:
It will require some resource from your end for a server to host and maintan Crucible installation.
Stash:

Pros:
Stash is good tool to manage code and users behind the firewall, it offers a good amount of control and code review workflows as well.
Cons:
It only supports Git and doesn't have support for Mercurial.

So there, no good solution, really. We'll probably look into third-party tools first, then into hosting Crucible locally - though both possibilities have ridiculous maitenance overhead and kind of beat the purpose of having JIRA as on-demand service.

Suggest an answer