Recent behavioral change w/ "resolution = unresolved"?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2017

I am seeing a recent change (w/in last week) where any JQL with "resolution = unresolved" is not functioning properly or at least as it was previously. Basically what is happening is that not all of the issues are being displayed. When I investigated, it appears that those not being displayed have a resolution of blank or empty where as those being displayed in fact show as "unresolved". I am unsure if those w/ empty resolutions previously showed as unresolved or not, only that about a week back they were being included in the unresolved list.

Similarly, gadgets on dashboard that include a filter w/ "resolution = unresolved" are throwing the following error:

Field 'resolution' does not exist or you do not have permission to view it.

I have a ticket open w/ Atlassian but have not yet heard back. Has anyone else observed this?

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2017

Atlassian logged into my site and found that the Resolution field was "hidden" on some (all?) projects. I have no idea how this would have happened as I'm sure I did not change it. However, I'm now suspicious that whatever change they made has resulted in new/unwanted behavior whereby the resolution is always required. I saw a ticket come in to that effect so will need to investigate that tomorrow. sad

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2017

Ah, no, that's not quite true.  Resolution is a non-standard field.

It is not a required field.  It does get the red "you must fill it in" indicator, but technically, it's not required, because you need to be able to leave it empty.  If there is any value in the field, the system considers it "resolved", irrespective of what you might have as an option (this is why I wanted to check that "unresolved" was not an option added to the list).

However, if you put the resolution field on any edit type screen (create, edit or transition), when it is empty, then a value is defaulted into it and cannot be blanked out.  Which means a user will resolve the issue accidentally.

Do not put the resolution field on any screen other than transition screens where you want to set it!  (I.e. going into a "done" type status)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2017

agreed. i'm going to have to unwind what they did and investigate further. for this reason i'm changing this topic to not answered. It is interesting that others are seeing similar.

Yogesh Ranade February 9, 2017

Jack anything new? As I said i see unresolved assigned to few of the old issues but i dont see it while creating a new one. Also what Nic said "It does get the red "you must fill it in" indicator, but technically, it's not required, because you need to be able to leave it empty." is not possible. I have to put some value in resolution to create an issue.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2017

Again, you should never put the resolution on a create or edit screen

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2017

Can you check Admin -> Issues -> Resolutions?  Does it have "Unresolved" on the list?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2017

Nic, thanks for quick response! In fact unresolved i not listed. I assume is should be? With that said, i'm still unclear on two things:

1) what would have changed. i'm quite sure i did not remove.

2) the issues w/ "unresolved" are captured by the query but those empty resolution do not. so how does adding unresolved address? Just trying to wrap my head around this.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2017

Actually, I think I see where you were heading w/ this Nic. In fact "Unresolved" should not be in the list as that would be treated literally. So it should not exist in the list I suspect.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2017

Yes, that's exactly it.  If there was an "unresolved" status in the list, you'd see the behaviour you are getting now in the searches.  Because an issue with "unresolved" in the resolution field is neither an empty resolution nor an unresolved one!

I needed to rule that out first.

I'm nore worried about the "does not exist" though, that suggests a structural problem.  I think it needs to go to Atlassian.  (I can imagine a way to do it by database hacking, but even then I'm not sure I'd get you that error)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 8, 2017

agree completely Nic. It appears that Atlassian is logged in and investigating now. Thanks again for the response!

Yogesh Ranade February 8, 2017

I see same behavior. Unresolved is missing which was there and some issues have the resolution=unresolved but can't search. any update from support?

Anna Bylina February 8, 2017

Following. Same behavior on JIRA 7.1.9

Suggest an answer