Reading (strange) Greenhopper burndown chart

Ruben Sadoyan February 4, 2013

Dear community,

I am using JIRA with SCRUM type of board. Sprint is in progress for some days, not really much work is done so far, but ...

Burndown chart looks strange to me, it misses the ideal burndown. Is there anything wrongly configured or?

Please have a look at the attached image...

Thanks for your help in advance,

Aquarius.

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

There is nothing wrong in that graph.

• The red line continues to be straight as there is no burn down
  • The burn up happened because the remaining estimate has gone up as Ahmand said.
  • The ideal line (Guideline) is missing because the estimates were added shortly after the starting time of sprint. The ideal line is there, since it starts at zero and ends at zero, it is not visible.
1 vote
Franz Schmidt October 13, 2013

Hi, I have a simmilar problem with the ideal line (guideline). It is missing and it is NOT because I add stories after the sprint started.

If I look at the Sprint log file below the burndown chart, I can see that Jira Agile used the time I 'created the Sprint' as the 'Sprint start' time. So, in this case I created the sprint at 12:00pm before the Sprint planning meeting. The Sprint backlog got filled during the Sprint planning meeting and I 'started' the Sprint at 03:00pm after the Sprint planning meeting. Burndown chart looks similar to Aquarius picture above. Only difference is there are no peaks in mine.

This is a bug. Time should only start ticking when I hit the SPRINT START button. Where would you suggest to file issues like these? best,

Franz Schmidt December 19, 2013

wow, this forum is on fire!

I found a solution to avoid the problem with the missing guideline:

Always set the start date of the sprint to a future date even if this means that your sprint technically is shorter then the time planned.

We do sprint plannings monday afternoon but due to a whole lot of stuff to prepare I (as a scrum master) am starting the iteration tuesday afternoon in jira agile. Since I set the start date to tuesday afternoon I get the correct represenataion in the burndown view.

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 4, 2013

Hey there, Aquarius.

One of the initial assumptions that I have when I see this is that you might have added more issues into the Sprint when it is still ongoing, causing the Remaining Time Estimate to go up before it gets burned down again.

Warm regards,

Danial

Ruben Sadoyan February 4, 2013

@Matthew: how can I know that?
@Ahmad: correct, but I still miss the ideal burndown.

Thanks again,

Aquarius.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2013

Read my comment above regarding ideal burn down.

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

Hi Aquarius, you just need to check the recent updates and check that they are logging work (Work logged field). I'd say that they aren't which is why the line is flat. the odd jumps are probably because someone has changed data in some of your issues

@Renjith is rigth, in that it looks like you've added the data to the sprint AFTER you started the sprint. that way the hours at the start of the sprint =0 and the line goes from 0 -> 0

Change the sprint start date to Jan 31 and you should get a better line.

Also, get your team to pull their finger out and start logging some time! ;-)

Ruben Sadoyan February 6, 2013

Hi everyone,

Issue is still there and I found that actual burndown does NOT reflect hours left (summ of all hours of all subtaskss of all stories + all side tasks).

Time tracking for the board set to : <input id="ghx-trackingstatistic-remainingtimeestimate" class="radio" style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 2px; margin-left: 0px; padding: 0px; border-style: none; float: none; width: 15px; height: auto; vertical-align: middle; font-size: 13.333333969116211px;" type="radio" name="ghx-trackingstatistic" value="field_timeestimate" checked="checked"/><label style="float: none; display: inline; left: 0px; margin: 0px; width: auto; color: #333333; font-family: arial, tahoma, verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 13.333333969116211px; line-height: 20px;" for="ghx-trackingstatistic-remainingtimeestimate">Remaining Estimate and Time Spent</label>

What I do wrong?

Thanks,

Aquarius.

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 4, 2013

is you team recording time spent?

Suggest an answer