Read-only JIRA user cannot log in.

We are running JIRA 6.3.7 and authenticate to our LDAP directory.  I would like to create a read-only group for JIRA users.  I created a group in Active Directory called "jira-viewers" and added the AD account to that group.  Within JIRA, I added the jira-viewers group to the jira-users permission.  I also gave the jira-viewers group the ability to browse projects in our two permission schemes.  However, the AD account, which is a member of the jira-viewers group cannot log in.  It just says "username and password are incorrect".  If a move that AD account to the jira-users AD group, it can log in successfully.  Can someone explain why that account can't log in when it's a member of our jira-viewers group?

Thank you,

3 answers

0 vote

Hi Don,

Just to be sure, when you say I added the jira-viewers group to the jira-users permission, you are mentioning the "JIRA Users" Global Permission, correct?

If so, can you check in your $JIRA_HOME/log/atlassian-jira.log (and in the atlassian-jira-security.log in the same folder, if you have it) if is there any error messages when trying to log in?

Cheers,
Andre 

Yes it is the Global Permission "JIRA Users" that the "jira-viewers" group was given.  This is what I see in the logs:

atlassian-jira-security.log.1:2015-06-29 09:23:24,212 http-bio-8080-exec-22 anonymous 563x14208x1 qn7nqa 10.42.18.104,127.0.0.1 /rest/gadget/1.0/login login : 'juser' tried to login but they do not have USE permission or weren't found. Deleting remember me cookie.

atlassian-jira-security.log.1:2015-06-29 09:23:24,224 http-bio-8080-exec-22 anonymous 563x14208x1 qn7nqa 10.42.18.104,127.0.0.1 /rest/gadget/1.0/login The user 'juser' has FAILED authentication.  Failure count equals 2

In User Management, "juser" is clearly in the jira-viewers group.  It's like the system is ignoring the Global Permission "JIRA Users" for members of the jira-viewers group.

Do you have any other ideas as to why "juser" can't login?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in Jira

Join our webinar: How 1B+ feature flag events helped us build the new Jira

Every time you release software, there's a bit of risk – that there's a bug, that something breaks, or that the feature doesn't resonate with customers. Feature flagging helps make high stakes s...

133 views 0 3
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you