Read mail from Office 365 mailbox

Mattias Kallvi September 13, 2017

We're running Jira (7.3.8) on a Windows 2012r2 server behind a firewall. We are not using SSL at the moment (not sure if this is relevant).

Now I want to add a new POP/IMAP server reading email from a mailbox in Office 365, but I get the following exception:

SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

I use SECURE_IMAP and according to our technicians port 993 should be open in the firewall. I have verified user/pwd.

So, do I need to do anything else before? Do I need to import som public certs? Config changes? Really needs some ideas here. Hope someone can help me.

//Mattias

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 14, 2017

Hi Mattias,

If you enter the settings and try a test connection does it work?

Take a look at the atlassian-jira.log and see if you see something similar to the following:

javax.mail.MessagingException: connect timed out while connecting to host 'outlook.office365.com' as user 'outlookUsers@domain.com' via protocol 'imaps, caused by: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: connect timed out

If you're seeing this you'll need to verify the port is open on your end by testing with Telnet.  I would also recommend your technicians run a packet trace and open it up with Wireshark or another tool and view the network traffic to see where the connection is dropping.

Cheers,

Branden

Mattias Kallvi September 14, 2017

Hi,

Tested the connection and checked the logs. I can see that exact error. I guess I'll need to have another talk with my technicians about this. I will get back with my findings.

Cheers

Mattias

RAJYS October 23, 2018

Hi Mattias, We are encountering the same issue. Anything you are able to find. Please share the solution if you have. 

Thanks,

Sridhar

Mattias Kallvi October 25, 2018

Hi,

Unfortunatly I can't be of much help. We still get this error sometimes when we try to add a new POP/IMAP-server. I can also see warnings in our incoming email log files when an existing mail server tries to read incoming emails. 

Some findings: 

1. When we wants to add a new incoming mail server and the error occurs, we just press cancel, wait for a couple of minutes och then try again. Usually it works. This makes me Think that it is a network issue.

2. Verify that you have POPS/IMAPS enabled. I know that one of our admins switched that setting off on our mail accounts. I can't remember what error I got in Jira then.

I have pinged the server, done a trace route and nslookup. No errors there. At the moment I have asked our network techicians to look into this. Maybe it is just O365 beeing to slow :-(

If we find soemthing, I will let you know.

Regards,

Mattias

Suggest an answer