Read/Write Access Between JIRA Instances, Application Link Questions

Brett Bullock January 9, 2018

I'm looking to connect two JIRA servers behind the same firewall and have a couple questions on doing so. First I will say that both instances are already setup, JIRA 1 has 500 user licenses purchased for it, JIRA 2 has 5.

JIRA 1 is an internal JIRA instance used for internal projects. 
JIRA 2 is an external JIRA instance that uses JIRA Service Desk to allow "agents" to communicate with customers.

Here are my questions:

1. How can I link the two so that I can not only link tickets between the instances, but also have users from JIRA 1 see AND comment on customer tickets in JIRA 2. PLEASE NOTE, customers should not be able to see these comments.

2. To get the workflow in Question 1, do I need to purchase an extra set of licenses in JIRA 2 for all the users in JIRA 1?

3. Are there issues with linking JIRA instances of different versions? JIRA 1 is v6.4.7 and JIRA 2 is 7.3.6

Thanks,

Brett

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2018

Hi Brett,

to answer your questions 1 & 2:

In order to link tickets between instances, you should have an application link setup between your instances.
If you want the users from Jira 1 also comment on the tickets (internally) in Jira 2, the users need also a license there - but not a Jira Service Desk license, a basic Jira Core license is enough.

As an alternative, I suggest another solution:

You can setup an issue synchronisation between your Jira instances so that certain (or all) issues from Jira 2 are synchronised with issues in Jira 1.
Your Jira 1 users could then comment on the issues in Jira 1 as they would do with a usual issue - and all the comments will be synchronised as internal comments into Jira 2.

You might want to have a look at this blog article which describes a situation like yours.

I'd recommend to use Backbone Issue Sync since I work in this team, but you could also have a look at the other issue sync solutions in the marketplace which should be able to solve this problem as well.

Cheers,

Matthias. 

Brett Bullock January 10, 2018

This really helps to clarify things. Thank you!

Brett Bullock January 10, 2018

@Matthias I am watching your webinar on Backbone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3xMjBY4t8g. At 15:06, you select a specific project from the internal JIRA. Can you link the external JIRA to more than one internal JIRA project?

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2018

Of course, Brett. You can link multiple projects from the Jiras to each other - in Backbone we call this link an integration between two projects.

You could define the following integrations:

• project A, Jira 1 <> project B, Jira 2
  • project A, Jira 1 <> project C, Jira 2
  • project D, Jira 1 <> project E, Jira 2

If you're interested in a demo & discussion of your use case, let us know via support@k15t.com. Please reference this discussion and you'll be redirected to me.

0 votes
francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
January 10, 2018

Mathias does explain it very well.   

If you would need comment impersonation, where the comment itself is created by a specific user (instead of a generic proxy user), you might also have a look at Exalate.    It includes the capability to create users (if necessary) and much more.

Francis

Suggest an answer