Re-indexation

Hanae alahcen April 17, 2013

Good morning everybody the system is asking me for a "Re-Indexing after Major Configuration Changes"

what does it mean ? Why should i do it ?

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2013

You've made changes that may require Jira to be re-indexed (this message is a little too frequent - it appears after some changes that do NOT need a re-index, but it's being cautious)

It is saying what you need to do - re-index Jira.

The index is a cached copy of some of the data in the database, optimised for searching - this srops Jira having to read the database for every single filter/search/report your users run. What you've just changed has invalidated some of that data and it needs to be rebuilt.

It's not critical, just something you should do as soon as you can. Your users may find searches don't work properly until you've done it, but your core data is safe.

0 votes
mi.bu April 17, 2013

just to add some additional information to "Nic Brough"s answer,

it's possible to index the system in the background while your users still have access to jira. This would take longer than rebuilding the index while locking jira down.

From my experience it's more practical to use the rebuild index function but that's just my preference since i have experience some freezing issues in jira after using the background indexing function.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2013

The background indexing shouldn't do that - I'd be tempted to raise it with Atlassian.

It is a very useful option though, certainly for bigger sites where a full re-index takes your Jira offline for an hour or more!

Suggest an answer