Rapid Board Report- Remaining Time

Daniel Weese August 16, 2012

I'm trying to get the Report tab of the Rapid Board for Scrum working for the burndown. If I do issue count, it only burns down when the top-level issue is completed. For an item with several sub-tasks, you don't see any progress on the report until all sub-tasks have been completed. So, I switched to "Original Time Estimate", but that line isn't moving along with the time remaining like I would have expected. How do I get the burndown to reflect either the sub-tasks remaining, or time remaining? I added a trigger to the DB to update time remaining of the parent anytime a sub-task is updated, and it's working, but the burndown is apparently looking for something else. Please help!

1 answer

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2012

That sounds strange. If you set the board up for 'Time Tracking' in the estimation tab of the configuration then the burndown will burn remaining time on both the stories and the sub-tasks.

Thanks,
Shaun

Daniel Weese August 19, 2012

Oh, and I'm now getting spam for posting this question. I get a reply from someone wanting to sell me Prada, Gucci and Coach items real cheap! It appears you remove the spam from the forums (since it's not here), but not before it sends the emails to the poster. Just FYI.

Daniel Weese August 19, 2012

My burndown is pretty much a flat line for the last 4 days, even though they're burning down hours on the sub tasks. The remaining time wasn't updating on the parent tasks until I put the trigger in place. We're using Tempo for our time tracking. If I go into a parent task, I can see the original estimate is higher than the remaining time, but the burndown doesn't change.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2012

Hi Daniel,

I suggest you raise a request with support so they can reproduce. You should not have a trigger to update the remaining time on the parent task, the Rapid Board will automatically calculate the time against the issue and all it's sub tasks. In fact the trigger might be partly responsible for the failed behaviour you're seeing.

Please also check you're using the latest version of GreenHopper, 6.0.1.

Thanks,
Shaun

Daniel Weese August 20, 2012

The trigger is not the reason for the failed behaviour because I wouldn't have written a trigger if it was working correctly in the first place. I'll send in a support request.

Suggest an answer