Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Ranking items in Structure

HI, I tried to move items around in a structure (using 'allow manual adjustments' checkbox in the structure definition).  It didn't allow me to do so.

Now I want to create a Rank field that is only part of the structure and I can sort the order of epics by it.  I'm wondering if this is possible and also whether this value will be available for the other users of the structure.  

I don't want to add any 'rank' or 'weight' field to the epic themselves (that is not the solution I'll be looking for).

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted

Hello @Ilan Barel 

Dionathan with ALM Works here. Hope you are doing great.

In this case, you could try using Sequential Index, where you will add a numeric column corresponding to an item's position within Structure. Please refer to this article for more information and instructions - Link 

Please let me know if it does help, or in case you need further assistance, feel free to reach out to us at support@almworks.com or support.almworks.com

Best Regards,
Dionathan Lopes

Thank you for this interesting direction.  I'm not yet sure how it can get me to  what I want.

Are you saying that if I change this index manually then the order of the items will be shown in a particular order?  

I'm trying to show the top priority epic in location #1, second in #2, and so on.  As this is fairly dynamic and up to discussions I want to be able to switch locations of epics within the structure.  I don't want to use static rank fields within each epic issue in Jira.

Hi @Ilan Barel 

Are you saying that if I change this index manually then the order of the items will be shown in a particular order? 

Yes. You would just need to drag and drop the epics to their right position. For example:

I have the following order in my Structure: Epic 2 / Epic 3 / Epic 4. Please note the Index column:

image (6).png

If I need to move Epic 4 for the first position, then the Index column should be updated as the following:

image (7).png

More information, here: Link

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Dionathan

Like Dave Rosenlund _Tempo_ likes this

Thank you.  I added an index column but couldn't change it manually (can I?).  I also tried to switch the lines around but the structure doesn't allow me to do that.  So.. not working yet.

Hi @Ilan Barel 

We would love to take a closer look at your setup.

Please send us a note to support@almworks.com or contact us through our customer portal: support.almworks.com

We look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,
Dionathan L
www.almworks.com

Hi @Ilan Barel 

Thank you for your time and patience on this matter.

Just to conclude the case - The sequential index column was not working because you were already sorting Structure by another column, and it is not possible to reorder a Structure that is already sorted by another field.

With sort by field removed, the suggested alternative worked as expected.

In case you have any questions about pretty much anything in the future - please don't hesitate to reach out to us again and we'll be glad to assist in any way we can.

All the best,
Dionathan 

Like # people like this

Hi, @Dionathan 

Thank you for your solution.

But how do you remove all sort by field?

When I see the setting of my structure I don't see any.

Capture d’écran 2022-12-08 172409.png

Best regards,

Io Cheong

Hi @Io-Cheong HO ,

It looks like your screen capture cropped off the column headers, which is where we would want to look.  You will see three lines (small, med, large) on the left side of the column header if you are sorting by it.

To quickly clear any column sorting, you can click on the Summary column header once.

Best,
David

Hi @David Niro _Tempo_ 

I checked again but I don't have filter on my colunms.

Capture d’écran 2022-12-08 174237.png

Is it because I'm using generators to generate the structure?

Best regards,

Io Cheong

Hi @Io-Cheong HO ,

Could you describe the problem you are trying to solve?  Are the issues sorted in some way that you don't want to see them?

Best,
David

Hi @David Niro _Tempo_ 

What I'm trying to do is exactly what Ilan and Dionathan solved above.

I have all Epics with it's child and added the index.

Capture d’écran 2022-12-08 175439.png

When I move Epic 4 to the top I'm having this message.

Capture d’écran 2022-12-08 175823.png

And if I click on "Acknowledge" the Epic go back to the initial position.

Best regards,

Io Cheong

@Io-Cheong HO ,

I believe you will want to add a Sort Generator and choose either the Sort by Rank or Manual Reordering option.

Please give it a try and let me know if it helps!

Also, feel free to contact our support team directly at support@almworks.com or through our customer portal support.almworks.com.

Best,
David

Like # people like this

Hi @David Niro _Tempo_ 

Thanks a lot!! It worked by adding a sort by rank the option update rank.

:)

Best regards,

Io Cheong

Like # people like this

You are very welcome!  Glad to hear it helped!!

Hi there @Io-Cheong HO 

I usually resolve these problems by building the automation again.  First add the extenders and then the 'insert' last.  This usually works for me.  Not sure why, but it does.

Suggest an answer