Ranking Swimlanes on Kanban Board?

Tudor Hofnar September 24, 2015

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible to rank a swimlane on a Kanban board?

Our swimlanes are based on stories, but it does not look like you drag/drop the issues to rank them. Is there a way to enable ranking or should I be basing my swimlane on something else to have this functionality?

Thanks for the help!

3 answers

0 votes
Kevin Maes March 20, 2019

It's not possible.

Ranking is only on issues within a swimlane.

The swimlanes themselves are ordered fixed in a board configuration.

0 votes
Nick September 24, 2015

I am using JIRA 6.3.4 and I can drag issues between lanes in a Kanban board and also change their ordering.

I checked the configuration for the board and it says

Ranking          Using Rank

which is the default. You can change this by editing the filter query, and for example change it to "ORDER BY issuekey ASC"

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2015

Nick! You are referring to dragging and dropping between COLUMNS, not LANES. Furthermore, ordering WITHIN a LANE always works if you are sorting by rank. The Question is asking about specifically the Story Swimlanes. It is not possible to drag and drop these lanes themselves! From my initial testing, it appears they are appearing in order of KEY. It is also not possible to drag and drop issues between ANY Swimlanes. Ranking can ONLY be achieved between a single swimlane!

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2015

You can not drag items between swimlanes. You can only stack-rank within a swimlane.

Since swimlanes a represented by queries, assignees, epics, or stories, you wouldn't ranking them at all. Rank is the relative rank of issues within a swimlane.

Tudor Hofnar September 24, 2015

Thanks @Steven Behnke. Perhaps rank was not the correct word to use here. Can I rearrange the order of the swim lanes? Can I move the one that is at the bottom to the top or vice versa?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2015

Ahh... I see. I'm still checking but it appears to just be by Key.

Suggest an answer