Rank field is multiplying like rabbits

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2012

In our custom field configuration we had a single field called "Rank" that is type "Global Rank" and is configured for all projects. I even put a little description to "DO NOT DELETE" because we use greenhopper to prioritize many of our projects. In the last couple of weeks I noticed that Rank had somehow managed to reproduce itself as an additional custom field over and over again. It seems to be multiplying like rabbits.

We do specify to use "Rank" for ranking in Agile, but we haven't touched that configuration in quite a while. So not sure what's going on and I don't want to delete them in case that messes up ranking in one of the projects, but it seems to be increasing.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 11, 2012

That is very odd. What does your log file say about it?

When you go into Greenhopper and configure which field(s) it should use for ranking, do you see the same huge long list of rank fields?

That aside, I really don't think it should be a problem if you deleted the extra ones. I'm worried about how they're being added, but the main global one should be fine as it is.

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2012

Yes there is a long list of those Rank fields when I'm in the configuration for Agile. I would need to ask our system admin re the log file, but I thought I would start here. It is odd, but I may try deleting them and see what happens. Hopefully I won't have the user community up in arms if the priority list goes awry.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2012

It is always worth asking :-)

I really don't think you'll break anything as long as you retain the main global one.

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2012

I have deleted all those rank fields and will monitor to see if they reoccur. Thanks

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2012

And they're back!! 3 more rank fields showed up today. I think it must be related to when we moved some issues up the queue in Agile.

Suggest an answer